cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VIA onboard SATA with single drive - do I need two drives?

N/A

Have tried in vane for two days to install XP completely using a single Serial ATA drive on a Gigabyte motherboard with VIA VT600 chipset. It has onboard Serial ATA support, but digging deeper and deeper into the issues I have, it looks like I need to use TWO SATA drives minimum to set up a RAID cluster....

Surely not... please! I only forked out for the single new SATA drive because I thought it would be faster than my current std ATA-100... but I don't want to get another! Evil

Anyone else gone down this route?
5 REPLIES
N/A

Most SATA setups should be operate with RAID disabled, though I havn't checked on your model (yet). As such, that means only a single disk is required.

RAID both on a SATA and PATA bus would yeilf faster HD speeds, if in striping mode. Speed loss would be seen due to processing overhead, but the benefit of writing to two disks at the same time means that the EU sees a performance boost.

SATA would see a better boost that PATA (depending on the bus and RAID controlers).

Have you made sure you have enabled the SATA bus?
Have you made sure the SATA bus is set to auto-detect the drive, or run an auto-detect sequance on the drive?
Does the BIOS know the drive is there?

Because there is a RAID function, there should be a seperate built in RAID configuration utility, if not built into the BIOS (or an option to launch it from the BIOS). Have you configured how you want the array in this utility? In some setups, it is required to make sure it know you only want a single drive arrays.

What model motherboard do you have?
N/A

Philip, thanks - think you're my own tech support!

It's a Gigabyte GA-7VT600 1378, with the VIA VT8237 southbridge with SATA and RAID onboard.

I check in the BIOS the on-board SATA is enabled. After the normal BIOS boot screen the VIA SATA BIOS appears, and you get the option to enter the RAID configuration menu. I looked at this, but none of the options mentioned single drive I think.
The VIA SATA BIOS recognises the drive about 50% of time - great from cold start , but once system has been on for >10mins it is hit and miss whether it can detect it.

Most recently the PC just rebooted itself everytime windows tried to boot. I am wondering if it's the PSU causing instability - but am going to try and return the drive to the shop today as I am not keen having read up on a number of sites about SATA drive failures. Sounds like VIA might have released early with this one.
N/A

PC has now been stable for 4 hours... about time. It took a new PSU, and moving my CD-Rom off the IDE0 channel to IDE1 (SATA was on SATA0, which I think conflicted).
Complete pain in the rear - am still not that happy with it as I am not convinced by the reliability, not to mention it being a pain in the rear if I want another IDE device in there (with Master/Slave being used for 2 CD/RW on IDE1).
N/A

Final straw on 6th install. It's corrupted again and is going back to the shop ASAP.

Heed this warning if you're thinking of buying SATA.
trexalan
Grafter

See if these guys can help you, go to the mainboard arena, Gigabytes in there. Ive had loads of issues sorted here.
Use a Abit NF7-S my self with 160 gig on sata as well 40 gig on ide with no problems.
http://forums.viaarena.com/