Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using router to route home WiFi network

lunchbug
Dabbler

Hi.

Can someone please help me get my head around how to do this ?
I appear to have a failed Solwise SAR705. My ADSL light just blinks, despite proving the ADSL line with a USB modem, resetting to factory defaults, reconfiguring via setup scripts obtained via this forum etc.

My home network is connected thus:

• PC-1 connected to Internet via USB modem with dynamic IP address.
  • PC-1 Windows XP Internet Connection Sharing enabled on USB modem connection
  • PC-1 wired to SAR705 & running WiFi & connecting to home wireless net + DHCP enabled
  • SAR705 wired to hub & serving DHCP
  • Wireless Access Point wired to hub & providing home wireless net
  • PC-2 running WiFi & connecting to home wireless net + DHCP enabled

I want to be able to connect PC-2 via WiFi to use PC-1's Intenet connection.

Thanks
Dave. :? :? :?
3 REPLIES
Community Veteran

I think your easiest solution would be to get a 4 port ADSL router (cheap enough these days) and then you can just connect one PC directly to it via cat 5
cable and also connect your wireless access point to it.
Both PC can then use the internet independant of each other.

So Router ---> PC1 and wireless access point.
PC2 To router via wireless.

Or both PCs to router via wireless if you have cards in them both.
shermans
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

John's solution seems the only sensible way to do it - internet sharing, I thought, was only ever intended to be a stop-gap measure. I use what John is suggesting, using an XP desktop and a W98 laptop and I have never had any problems. Very easy to set up and fast networking also. In this weather, I have been working wirelessly under a tree in the garden !

Mind you, I do not know what is actually to stop two neighbours sharing a single broadband connection this way and thereby halving the cost - for that matter, what about a community connection ? The problem might be acceptable usage volumes, but for the casual user, which probably most people are, that would not be so much of a problem !
lunchbug
Dabbler

Thanks both. I had the setup John described, until the ADSL modem router (SAR-705) stopped talking to the ADSL.

I'm now trying to use my USB modem together with the still working router part of the SAR-705 and my existing WAP to allow me wireless Internet once more.