cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using PPPoA on Windows XP

Saltire
Dabbler

I have been accessing broadband without any problem on Windows 98.

I recently bought a second user PC with Windows XP Home pre-installed and no installation cd-rom.

I tried to install my modem on it without any success. Thinking the modem was too old, I bought a new one. I've now tried four different modems and can't get connected. The most recent is a Speedtouch 330 USB which the makers tell me should work with the updated drivers.

Whenever I try to install the modem everything seems to go fine until the very end when I get a message saying that the hardware cannot be installed as the data is invalid. I'm now at my wits end as I've tried everything I can think off.

In Network Connections the modem seems to be trying to use pppoe instead of pppoa, although i've installed the pppoa driver. There doesn't seem to be any way of changing to pppoa.

The last used was using a Telewest cable modem, and I can only think that's somehow messed up the system.

Any help would be appreciated.
3 REPLIES
N/A

Are you installing the software and drivers before you plug the modem in? It vital on most usb modem you dont plug the modem in until asked or after the installation's is complete.

I would roll back the pc a few days install the software and then reboot before plugging the modem in unless the software tells you to plug it in. Make sure you are in as admin when you do it
Saltire
Dabbler

Yes, I've been doing that.

I'm also getting a message that new hardware has been detected and a NetTrans driver is being asked for.

Any idea what this is?

I've just upgraded to Xp Pro but it hasn't helped any.
N/A

NetTrans driver is required for various protocols it sound as if your drivers arnt loading. ppoe is the default setting for this modem so you need to change it. Have you seen this page

http://www.speedtouchdsl.com/supfaq330R2.htm#_Toc501768609

the manual and help are here

http://www.speedtouch.com/documentation/ST330/R400/InstallSetupGuide/HTML/en/wwhelp/wwhimpl/js/html/...

Have you got the latest drivers?

You are not running Netbui by any chance are you if so remove it.

Have you installed sp2 and any Av or firewalls which may be the problem? Its often better to turn off av while instalig the software as it may screw it up.