cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgraging USB1 to USB2 with a PCI card

N/A

My computer has USB1 on the M/board. I wanted to expand to USB2 speed and installed a PCI 4+1 USB port card and Windows XP installed it.
The drivers all looked OK but would not read an external HDD or work a new scanner.

By trial and error I disabled all the USB1 original ports, then switched off the Bios support for the M/board USB1 and not until I disabled 'standard Enhanced PCI - USB open host controller' on the device manager, did I get my external gear to work.
Now I find this is working at USB1 speeds. (by measurement and by XP advice bubble) I have gone round in circles to find I am back to where I started! Any suggestions how to I get the proper driver/system to recognise the attached equipment and work at the higher speed? (The gear works fine)
Cry
6 REPLIES
N/A

Have you updated your chipset drivers? Your XP also need to be at least SP1 for USB 2 to work.
N/A

Thanks for your reply.
All the drivers are latest SP2 and updated via Windows Update. Xp chooses the drivers itself ( and can go online to get them) and gives you no choice of interception. I will have a look at the SIS site and see if they have any others to offer. Any further suggestions welcom.
N/A

IIRC, if Device Manager mentions "Enhanced" in relation to a USB controller - it IS USB 2 - USB 1/1.1 are usually referred to as "Standard" USB controllers.
N/A

Thanks penalt, yes 'Standard Enhanced PCI controller ' is loaded but I have to disable it to get the system to recognise the hardware! Now I have got one USB2 labelled Root Hub and the other 3 on the same board are not labelled 'USB2' just 'USB Root hub' Still oin a mess!

Moderators note by John (johnessex) BB code enabled for you as you seemed to be using it to highlight "penalt"
N/A

What mobo do you have?
N/A

Mo/bd Asus A7s333, Ali PCI USB2, Athlon 2000
now got external HDD drive recognised but going round in circles to install/initialise \Scanner (Works OK on USB1 setup.) Suggestions welcome