cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrading do I have to format tho?

tony_madge
Dabbler

Hope someone can help me with this. I run XP Home, I will be changing the motherboard and CPU plus Ram, do I have to format my hard drive and start a fresh or will XP pick up the new board etc? If I do have to format..yuk..I guess its put new stuff in then pop in the XP CD and reinstall from that, however what do I do with my Outlook Express I have a ton of messages etc can I export them to a CD then import them afterwards??
Hope you can sort out this confusion. cheers Cheesy
Tony M
17 REPLIES
markh

Hi,

I think you should get away without a reinstall, it depends on the specific hardware though, it may take exception to it.

If you need to you can always reinstall windows over the top which will keep your installed programs etc. although a fresh install is always better.

You can export your messages from Outlook to various formats (ie csv) and import them back in when you are done.
N/A

Hello Tony,

Once you have installed your new motherboard, processor and memory (install all the new components first and only connect up your hard disk drive last of all). If you have done everything correctly, that includes making sure the cables to your hard drive & floppy, CD\DVD etc are attached properly.

Then WindowsXP home should auto detect the presence of the new motherboard,etc on startup (on boot up) it does this using a file called NTDETECT.com. As WinXP has plug & play it should enumerate the new components and find the relevant drivers and load them without any difficult at all. So NO! you wont need to either re-install windows XP home or re-format your hard drive. Your programs & data & emails should be safe. Although I suggest that you do make backup's once you have your system up & running if you havent made backup before doing this.

**I'm assuming your going to keep the same hard drive as you have at present. So your machine should be faster and more responsive than before & I take it thats the whole aim of your project.

**Its only if XP cannot correctly detect your new hardware that potential difficulties can arise, but on the whole I think you shouldnt have any problems with that process. WindowsXP is pretty clever are recognising new hardware.

Ivan

-------------------------------------
PN,F9,FOL Forum Moderator
Running Force9 Broadband Premium 2MB
tony_madge
Dabbler

Many thanks to both of you for your help, it has eased my mind Cheesy
Thanks again
N/A

Replying Re: Upgrading

Hi,

Do let us know how you get on with that, I'll be interested to hear.

Ivan

-----------------------------------------------------------
F9/ FOL Forum Moderator
Broadband Premuim 2MB's customer
Community Veteran

But... yes there is a but

Some of the newer mobo chipsets and particularly the disk controller can sometimes not be recognised by XP, especially if you are using the original version (not SP1 or SP2). When this happens, Windows is unable to recognise the hard disk or be able to boot from it which then means you are stuck. SO make sure you have updated to SP2 before changing over.

I had this happen to me a few months ago and it took me a while to get it working (I could not reinstall the XP as it was a pre-installed OEM version and the original disk was lost). It did involve putting the original mobo back in the case a few times as that was the only way to access the disk and install the necessary drivers by hand (I could not install the chipset drivers for the new mobo when running on the old).

So if you get to a point where the new mobo does not boot post back and I will try to dig out what I did to get mine working.
N/A

Hi

See!! you learn something new every day if your willing? I didnt know that about the issues of the newer mobo's, thats quite interesting. I guess SP2 would make sense as so many XP core system files & DLL's got rewritten in SP2 (quite a few people have said XP SP2 is really like a new release of windows altogether but I dont know about that myself).

Ivan

F9 Broadband Premium 2MB user
MarkAngel
Grafter

XP-riffic

I've had to replace some motherboards with XP as the OS, and I'm sad (and pained from the grief it caused me) to say that every time I have done it (a radical hardware change like MOBO) I've been presented with the good old BSOD (Blue screen of death), and no amount of repair can fix it. Dare I say it, but this is where Win2K often proves that bit easier to repair (well from a Business Perspective anyway!)

I think It is worth saying that a fresh install is always welcome on a used system as it generally breathes new life into a system (not to mention a sense of achievement when completed)
N/A

To save your mail and address's open a MSN Hotmail account (free) and mail the items to save to you there (they are saved on their server) then when you are sure you have finished if you do loose them just e-mail them back. Copy any address's to save in a letter to yourself and do the same. I learned this the hard way lots of addresses, passwords, proof of payment et. all gone.

Hotmail accounts are free just check your mail at least every 28 days.

See MSN do sometimes help people, OK accidentally. Shockedops:
N/A

XP & More

Hi

malynch
Dare I say it, but this is where Win2K often proves that bit easier to repair (well from a Business Perspective anyway!)

I find that statement quite ammusing as Win2K and XP are almost the same thing the differences under the hood are NOT that great. WinXP is a tweaked version or subset of Win2K. The changes in versions between win2k & XP would make little or no difference from the point of view of installation, repair or upgrading process. But I respect the fact & would agree too that from experience if your making big hardware changes then a complete install is useful. But my reply was coming from the point of view that what if you cannot run a complete fresh installation? what then?

**Ive definately done major hardware upgardes on Win2K and had absolutely no problems with a smooth upgrading process. All new devices were detected on boot up and the system remained stable. But I think it does depend upon WHAT the hardware you have though. If you have compatible XP hardware and checked MS for compatiblity then you shouldnt get any BSOD, at worst you might get the odd driver problem or warning of an unsigned driver file etc but nothing traumatic.

Ivan
N/A

Hi, changing the chipset, caused by changing the motherboard for a diferent model, will always, at the very least, require a repair installation of XP or win2k. If you are changing many components, such as you are, I would recommend a fresh installation....
Chris
N/A

Hi again, you might find this article of interest http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=1755
ChrisC
Community Veteran

Funnily enough Ive just done this.
A friends PC stopped working and after checking it out it turned out to be something on the Motherboard that had given up so I sourced a new board for him.

The original type was not available so I finished up with a totaly different make of board.

Everything else on the Pc was exactly the same, just a new board.
I booted it up using the CD and then ran the Repair current windows option.
It asked me for the windows code but did not ask at the end to be authenticated so it must have been happy that there was still enough of the original PC left to not make it think it was a new one.

In Contrast to this I have done the same with another PC but as well as the Motherboard it's had a new faster CPU and new memory. Same HDD and graphics card and same DVD player.
In this case at the end of the repair / install it asked to be authenticated and then failed this saying too many changes, Contact Microsoft for a new activation key.

So it seems that even a motherboard change on its own is accepted but change other bits as well and it gets upset.
N/A

I was having some network problems a while back, after removing then replacing my network card was required to re-authenticate my windows key code.
N/A

Activation when Hardware is changed XP

Hi,

Thats quite interesting as I was under the destinct inpression from reading various articles about XP and activation, that a user was allowed upto and including 4 changes of hardware items before a machine would require a re-activation code from MS.

Ivan