Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrading 9800 Pro G-Card

Midville
Grafter

A little help please,

Currently got 9800 Pro card had it for 18 month maybe more, its time to upgrade it - hopefully. I want to spend around £100 ish....... some guys have recommended these cards

PowerColor ATI Radeon X800 GTO 256MB DDR3 TV-Out/DVI (AGP) or Sapphire ATI Radeon X800 GTO 256MB GDDR3 TV-Out/DVI (AGP) around £120 ish

However I have seen this

Sapphire X1600 Pro 512MB DDR2 AVIVO TV-Out/DVI (AGP)which is a little bit cheaper.

Can anyone give me some guidance on the above or a differnet card please..........

Thanks
5 REPLIES
N/A

the X800 would probably be the best bet. however you may want to check out this link ::

http://tomshardware.co.uk/site/vgacharts/index.html

for a LARGE review on like every card ever Smiley
N/A

I would save up a little bit more and get one of these little beasts

Not exactly in your price of £100 but the extra £50 notes is totally justified as its probably the best card for AGP at the price.

The X1600 is slower but better technology than the X800GTO cards, but the X800GTO's speed may not be a factor once games advance more on the technical side. Its really hard to choose because you dont know which is more futureproof.

Whereas the 6800GS 256MB from XFX has faster clock for clock speed than an X800GTO and the technology is similar to that of an X1600 (HDR and SM3.0).

So for another £50 you will get peace of mind rather than a possible piece of Wink

If you dont like the sound of the extra notes go for the X1600, its slower but newer technology is the better way to go I think. Plus it holds its price better when the time comes for you to sell it on.
Midville
Grafter

Thanks guys.......... not made my mind up yet, a few quid extra is ok as long as I dont tell the other half Cheesy

Will a better card make video and photo editing quicker?Huh
N/A

I am not too sure about video and photo editing but I will look into it..

ATi and Nvidia are for mainly gaming, although sometimes they state blah blah about video editing the main contender in that section is http://www.matrox.com

Probably whatever you can afford from the Matrox range will be the best one to buy, I dont know much about it but it really depends on if you want to take the plunge for a video editing card over a video gaming card :?

I think the Matrox cards are super duper at 2D and not really bothered about 3D whereas Nvidia and ATi are the opposite away around. Its a totally different ball game by the sounds of it and one I am really not clued up enough in to help.

Hopefully someone on here is a video nerd Cheesy hehe sorry
Midville
Grafter

Cheesy Thanks.....