cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrade

trexalan
Grafter

Upgrade

I was hoping the users of this forum could help me.
Im wanting to ugrade & want to know what other people are useing,If there happy with it, How easy it was to config. e.t.c. Ive got a budget of £350-£400 & want it as high end as poss. for the money.

Wanted:- New board
New chip (xp2000+ at the moment)
New harddrive (120g or above wanted)
Good quality ram (512ddrHuhHuhHuhHuh)

Got good graphics & sound
useing xp pro
If ive missed any info let me know.
All info will be very appreciated
Cheers Phil.
15 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Upgrade

Have a look at http://www.scan.co.uk this is where I buy all my computer equipment.
They have a good website with costs, pictures and specs.
trexalan
Grafter

Upgrade

Had a good look on that site & it is one of the best ive come a cross for info & specs. But i dont what fall into the same trap as i i did last year, which was,
went out & got wot i thought was a decent board, did the build fine loaded the os. fine. loaded all the drivers fine After reboot no end of problems, tried this tried that, could not set the board up at all, so after exchanging this board 3 times & spending 4 months trying to set it up i gave it up & when back to my old board. So by asking other users to give a bit of feed back as to what thay are useing just may relieve the headace.
Ive looked round sites like toms hardwear but reviews thay give dont tell you much. That board made me very bitter as you can tell.
So thanks again for info............
Phil
Community Veteran

Upgrade

Yes I can uderstand your concern with unknown hardware.

If its an Athlon CPU you intend to use then I don't think you will go far wrong with either Abit or Asus boards.
I have built several machines using these and all have been excellent.

Of the two I have a tendency to prefer the Abit variety but both are fine.
N/A

Upgrade

Here's the link for the best Mobo site there is. Have a loook at their top 10.
http://www.motherboards.org/
trexalan
Grafter

Upgrade

Right then this looks like the new set up, any advice, info, criticism welcome:-

Corsair XMS 512Mb DDR 400MHz PC3200 Cas 2 - with Heat Spreader

AMD *Retail* Athlon XP 2800+ *333 FSB* Barton (2.08 GHz)

SuperMicro SC-760 ATX Tower Case (550 Q-tec Duel Gold PSU)

Abit AT7 Max 2 Via KT400 6 x USB2, Raid, AGP 8X

XFX Geforce 4 64MB DDR

Sound Blaster Live Platinum 5.1

120Gb Maxtor ATA-133 (7200rpm, 8MB Cache, 8.5ms)
N/A

Upgrade

If you plan to use this as a gaming rig I'd be sorely tempted to ditch what I think is a GF4 MX card that you mentioned and stick in something like a Radeon 9500 Pro if they're still around. Or even one of the GF4Ti cards which are cheap nowadays. The GF4MX will be a SERIOUS bottleneck for performance in the setup you describe!

Other than NerverWinter Nights being stuttery, the 128MB 9500Pro I have with my Athlon 1400 is amazing for £140. You may wish to go for a 9600 Pro though, as this is the newer (though slightly slower in most respects) card on the market, roughly the same price as the 9500 Pro though. I'm pushing 8500 3D Mark 2003 points and I'd expect well over 10,000 with an Athlon 2800+. if it were a cash issue, drop to a 2600+ (still 333Mhz FSB) and put the money towards the graphics card. Radeon is also DX9 compliant whereas the GF4MX is still on DX7.

nry
trexalan
Grafter

Upgrade

The graphics card is a Ti4200 but i plan to upgrade that in about 6 months
N/A

Upgrade

No probs then!

nry
trexalan
Grafter

Upgrade

Very happy with Scan computers, cheers for that john, one or two minor probs
but nothing a phone call couldnt sort out. Also changed a few things to the spec (you can go mad if you dont stick to a budet).
Heres the new spec:-

ABIT NF7-S V2 Motherboard

AMD *Retail* Athlon XP 2800+ *333 FSB* Barton (2.08 GHz)

Corsair XMS 256Mb DDR 333MHz PC2700 x2

XFX Geforce 4 TI4200 64MB DDR

120G Maxtor 7200 Harddrive x2 on Sata 150 Raid

ATCS Cooler Master Case

Q-tec 550 psu

Read the reviews about this board im well impressed & it was a peice of cake
to set up just plug & play. The onboard sound is the best ive seen its on a par
with my old sound blaster live platinum card, could even be better

The only thing that concerns me is the chips running a bit warm,but when i checked with scan thay said these new chips are designed to run slightly warmer.

Is this true?

A bigger heat sink should sort this out or may be a up to date bios.
Any ideas?

Thanx once again to all who took the time to help me out.
Community Veteran

Upgrade

Go for the bigger heatsink. I know that faster CPU's tend to run hotter (they are working harder) but if you can keep it cooler then so much the better, and cooling it wont slow it down. Wink

Sounds like a pretty impressive machine you have there now.
Must get round to upgrading this some time Athlon 1 gig but it still does all I need it to so I'm reluctant to fix it if it aint broke :!:

Too busy anyway building Pcs for others, no time to do my own Cry
Community Veteran

Upgrade

Hi Phil,

OT but did you know your avatar isn't working.
It says its pointed to http://c:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Phil/My%20Documents/My%20Pictures/welcomer
So it will work for you but not other forum users. Upload it to your webspace and then point it to there.

Chris
N/A

Upgrade

So what will the craic be on a comparison of the Abit NF7 mentioned earlier and the slightly pricier Asus A7N8X - Deluxe??

Would appreciate your opinions...

Cheers - Chris
trexalan
Grafter

Upgrade

Dont know what you meen Chris still fairly new to all this sorry, list wot you want to know & ill see if i can help you out.
N/A

Upgrade

Was just wondering if you had looked at the Asus board mentioned earlier and what your views were on it ... (and the others watching the thread).

Also what are you looking to spend on the spec you listed above?

Just i am going to build a machine in the next few weeks and am looking for as much advice as possible.

Cheers - Chris