cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrade from Speedtouch modem to Speedtouch 546 router?

N/A

I currently use a Speedtouch 330 USB modem that is about 4 years old to connect to the internet and have been looking to replace it with a Speedtouch 546 router.

Would I notice any difference in speed with the router connected via an ethernet cable? Has anyone any experience of the 546?
16 REPLIES
Community Veteran

What speed do you currently get?

Does the modem show line stats, if so post them here.

Normally a separate router is better than just an ADSL modem, especially if the modem is connected via USB. USB running at the higher ADSL speeds can affect overall system performance which can sometimes mean throughput is reduced. Having a separate router connected via Ethernet (don't use a USB connection if the router supports it) should be more reliable and possibly quicker.

Other advantages are hardware firewall and logging.

Also make sure the router has the latest firmware and is set to never discconect when idle - some routers have a problem reconnecting when the idle timeout occurs.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 57

If you aren't on MaxDSL then you probably won't see any difference.
If you do go to MaxDSL then the Speedtouch 546 is an excellent router and when you go to MaxDSL there are excellent monitoring and tweaking programs available to maximise your connection speeds
N/A

Thanks for the replies. I am on the 8MB service but have been suffering with a lot of connection problems over the last few months so my connection speed has been dropped to 1MB by PN.

I've checked the Speedtouch USB diagnostics program which says the line rate is 1152 Kbps receive and 256 Kbps transmit.
Community Veteran

If you do go to the 546 things should improve with the latest firmware (you may need to upgrade to it).
You can then use ADSLMonitor http://adslm.dohrenburg.net/ to see what is happening to your noise margin etc over time and also use DMT v7.27 http://dmt.mhilfe.de/ to tweak your connection.
If you want to get some more reports about it I suggest you have a look here for extensive discussions
Njal
Grafter

If you haven't already bought it DSL Depot are doing them for 25 quid:

http://www.dsldepot.co.uk/product_details.asp?idProduct=516

I've got one, no problems.

Regards,

Neil
Community Veteran

looking at that site I think that is the v5 modem and you should really try to get the v6
Njal
Grafter

I think that is the v5 modem

More than likely. DSL Depot is their cheaper site, so it's probably selling the older model. The main site at DSL Source lists the same model for £47 (possibly the later version):

http://www.dslsource.co.uk/product_details.asp?idProduct=87

Incidentally I got my router from DSL Source. It arrived next day delivery, they originally sent the wrong router, but after speaking to someone who knew what they were talking about on the phone they replaced it with the right model the day after. Apart from the fact that they originally sent the wrong thing I was reasonably impressed with their service. At least it's nice to know that if something does go wrong they will sort it out.

Regards,

Neil
N/A

If you do go to the 546 things should improve with the latest firmware (you may need to upgrade to it).
You can then use ADSLMonitor http://adslm.dohrenburg.net/ to see what is happening to your noise margin etc over time and also use DMT v7.27 http://dmt.mhilfe.de/ to tweak your connection.
If you want to get some more reports about it I suggest you have a look here for extensive discussions

I hope you don't mind me asking a quick question:
These look really interesting, however they are all in German!
Are there any help files or docs for these in English?

Rgds.

Stan Chelchowski
Community Veteran

ADSLMonitor is in english so you shouldn't have any problems.

The telnet configuration for a speedtouch is
IP Address speedtouch.lan
login sequence Administrator^M^M
Show command 1: adsl info^M
If you start the monitor with these settings then click on "Test Connection" it will connect to your router.
Then click on "Acquisition ON" and after a short delay the graphing function will start

For DMT I suggest you have a look at this thread and then follow up with all the other threads on the same subject
N/A

ADSLMonitor is in english so you shouldn't have any problems.

The telnet configuration for a speedtouch is
IP Address speedtouch.lan
login sequence Administrator^M^M
Show command 1: adsl info^M
If you start the monitor with these settings then click on "Test Connection" it will connect to your router.
Then click on "Acquisition ON" and after a short delay the graphing function will start....

Aghh! sorry about this, but I could not get my password accepted..
I guessed that the password should be placed between the two ^Ms, but it's not accepted. Slightly stumped...
Community Veteran

I am a bit confused.
Which program are you trying to setup.
The password on a Speedtouch router by default is blank - there isn't one unless you have changed something.
Try opening a DOS window and then type "telnet speedtouch.lan" without the quotes and then press enter. You should then get a request for Username which is "Administrator" note the capital A
then after pressing enter the next request is Password which you leave blank and just press return.
This should get you into the telnet screen - if it doesn't you must have changed something
If you would like to drop me a PM giving your e-mail address I can send you some screen prints of the programs so that you can see what I have.
N/A

Ooops, sorry for not being clear.

ADSL Monitor and its Telnet Configuration page.
I have created a new default user which is password protected (and removed user id "Administrator")and removed all bells and whistles in an attempt to just have an ADSL/Ethernet "bridge" (i.e. no-nat)

Rgds.

Stan Chelchowski
Community Veteran

I am sorry but you are now outside my experience.
You could try raising the question on ADSLGuide under the DSL Hardware Discussion section
N/A

Thanks for your help, I'm a lot further on thanks to you.

Rgds.

Stan