cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrade Mainboard

N/A

Upgrade Mainboard

I am considering upgrading my mainboard, but dont realy know what to look for. Any ideas please?
5 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Upgrade Mainboard

It all depends what CPU you have in mind as there are different types for Athlon or Intel ?
N/A

Upgrade Mainboard

It all really depends on what your intentions are.

If you are willing to replace your mother board (main baord), proccessor, and ram. You dont really need to worry about anything in particular. Just as long as you make sure the comments you get work with each other and are in your price range.

Good things to look for are high Front Side Bus (FSB) speeds. These vary depending on your Processor and what it can handle. crucial offer a good compatability check, based on your motherboard.

If you are not willing to replace the memory and proccessor, then make sure that the new motherboard will support your current proccessor and memory, could be tricky depending on the age of the parts.

Tom's Hardware have some very good articles on motherboards and other compoents and high quality reviews.

The main thing to watch out for is CPU - FSB - RAM compatability
N/A

Upgrade Mainboard

Is there some softwear that can tell me what i have?
N/A

Upgrade Mainboard

Crucial offer a program called the Belarc Advisor which tells you about your motherboard and existing ram type and a few other things. You could also try SiSoft Sandra which tells you a lot of other information.
N/A

Upgrade Mainboard

You want a new rig? Buy this, it's what I'm running on, ASUS A7N8X Deluxe Revision 2 MoBo, and an Athlon XP 2500 +. Here's the great part, buy a Thermaltake Volano 9 cooler and some ArcticSilver thermal compund for it, after the first few boots to get all the software e.t.c working, overclock the FSB frequency to 199 MHz (not 200 unless you have PC3200 RAM) and save the canges to the BIOS, and have a good look at what your CPU is detected as! Because of this I have a £70 XP 3200+ CPU!