cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unwanted Spyware

psk10
Grafter

Unwanted Spyware

I recently tried a useless program to prevent Spyware getting on my pc ,and was riddled with it luckily Webuser did a feature on Spyware .
I downloaded a 30 day trial from www.trendmicro-europe.com it got rid of all the nasties that had appeared since using the useless program some very difficult to remove even Spybot and Adaware had not found .i shall be buying this software once the trial end ,some of the Spyware the useless program let through could have been a real threat had i not realised something was wrong .I would advise reading the feature on Spyware .
8 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Unwanted Spyware

No single spyware detector will find all the spyware that exists. You have to run multiple apps for different types of infection in order to ensure your systems are protected. The same applies to virus scanners, trojan scanners, malware scanners. It is also a fact that new infections arrive hourly and it can take some scanner vendors time to include them in it's detection systems so it is no surprise that some slip through the net.

I use the following:

Adaware free
Spybot search & destroy
eTrust PestPatrol + background scanner & keylogger detector
Spywareguard
Spywareblaster
AVG Antivirus
ZoneAlarm Pro with spyware/malware detector
I also block various known malware/virus sites via frequent host file updates which stop me or other apps visiting known bad sites, especially the banner adverts & tracing sites..

I also run the highly recommended trend micro housecall online scanner weekly.

It is also important to keep all your scanning software up to date as far as main program versions and updated detection files. For some this is done automatically, for others you have top update them manually.

More info and links to many scanners can be found in General: Essential Security software.
N/A

Unwanted Spyware

It is not a good idea to install more than one antivirus application, but you can use an online virus scanner in conjunction with an installed antivirus application.

Tim
psk10
Grafter

Unwanted Spyware

Why ?I think you are mean Firewalls.
psk10
Grafter

Unwanted Spyware

Thanks for your advice ,i was using 3 programs for 12 months and when my renewal for 1 was due i asked if anyone had any suggestions and was told to try Spyware - Inoculation but each time i scanned my pc it came back clear so i tried others and my pc was full of Spyware and the program cost me £22.so i was not too pleased with it .it was suppose to block Spyware before could get in my pc ,i will follow your advice and get a few more Programs and keep using Trendmicro ,Have you heard anything about Norton Anti-Spyware which is included in Norton Internet Security 2006 i use Norton Security ?
N/A

Unwanted Spyware

The same is true of personal firewalls, but I did mean antivirus applications, as you can get conflicts if more than one is installed.

Tim
Community Veteran

Unwanted Spyware

I also block various known malware/virus sites via frequent host file updates which stop me or other apps visiting known bad sites, especially the banner adverts & tracing sites..

Indeed Peter. I also use the hosts file quite extensively. Smiley
N/A

Unwanted Spyware

The same is true of personal firewalls, but I did mean antivirus applications, as you can get conflicts if more than one is installed.

Tim

Yep - dont run more than one virus checker - there is a tendancy for them to see eachother "snooping" as a virus-like activity!
N/A

When AV's attack

You're all right in the case of on-access antivirus checkers (i.e. Sophos InterCheck for those of us in a corporate environment), there can theoretically, as they say, be only one.

But for on-demand scanners, well, I used to run F-Prot on-demand quite happily while InterCheck was active. It depends on the specific brands of AV. At home I'll happily run F-Prot on-access all the time, and I can run either F-Prot on-demand, or the weird BitDefender and Kaspersky engine combo that Aldi sell every year, should I so desire. The fact that this combination of engines works together, even in the on-access mode, suggests that it can be done, but it may take a lot of testing...

Me, I love AdBlock in Firefox, with FilterSet.G...whatever the OS. And a quiver full of Spyware removers, just in case. And no IE installed in Windows (if at all possible for you), although installing RealPlayer will get you just the same problems with tracking cookies.