cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unusual problem

N/A

Unusual problem

For the last few weeks I have been unable to create, move, copy or delete folders in windows explorer, explorer just crashes when I do. I can do anything with the contents but not the folders themselves [I can create, delete ect. folders in any save or open dialog boxes I open tho'].

When I first noticed this I first ran SFC and then I rolled back Systen restore in case it was anything I had done [I don't go round delete sys files willy nilly by the way] or software I had installed but to no avail. I've even re-installed windows but still the problem exsists.

I've run spybot, addaware and hijackthis and have AV up to date but nothing comes up with anything.

Has any one any ideas on what could be wrong.

I'm running WinXP Pro by the way
5 REPLIES
N/A

Check for Trojen Horses Ivan

Hello,

Ahh! yes! but have you run a proper anti trojen scanner over your system just in case (I'm NOT saying it is a trojen but I think its definately worth checking in order to eliminate that possibility). I highly recommend that you download a free trial version of the excellent Trojen Hunter ( I think its a 30 day trial fully working version) download it & install it and run the program to check.

**The symptoms you describe do sound very strange indeed but if windows explorer (the windows shell) is crashing then the signs are not good.

**If you have got a trojen the Adaware etc wont detect it.

**If its a trojen AV software like Norton may well miss it too.

You will find Trojen Hunter at this URL http://www.misec.net/trojanhunter/

Ivan

--------------------------------------------------
F9 FOL Forum Moderator
F9 Broadband Premier 2MB User
N/A

Unusual problem

You dont give us enough details but I would guess that the permisions on the folders are wrong. If you reinstalled and didnt wipe the drive the folder could have permision set to a SID which doesnt exist anymore so it wont let you do anything.

Try right clicking on the root of the drive and select properties then security make sure that at least admin(the account you are logged in as) has full control on the drive if not give it full control. If you find somthing with strange letters and numbers having permisions remove it it the old SID

The other possability is that the drive is corrupt try running chkdsk /f from a cmd prompt and see if there are errors
N/A

Further Thoughts Ivan

Hi,

When you say you re-installed windowsXP did you wipe the entire hard disk i.e. did you reformat the disk during the re-install & install as if from scratch or did you leave the disk file system & partition information intact as before?

**Do you have XP Pro with Service Pack 2 installed?, the reason I ask is that in SP2 Microsoft rewrote some critical windows files inorder to increase security and this did upset alot of people, and caused compatibility problems. But SP2 isnt like previous service packs, SP2 is far more like a new revision or version of windowsXP. Also in SP2 the builtin XP firewall is turned on by default so you have to specifically disable it if you want to run a different firewall such as ZoneAlarm etc.

Ivan

F9 FOL Forum Moderator
N/A

Unusual problem

Ivn2mod, I haven't tried trojanhunter will gill give it a go.

mwright, I have two disks C:\ is NTFS and D:\ is split [FAT32 and a linux disto] and this is happening on both the window disks/partitions so I think it's a problem with explorer. I did run chkdsk and did a full surface scan [forgot to mention that in my first post]

Ivn2mod I re-installed XP over the original [wiping the disk and doing a fresh install is my next option] then re-installed all the drivers IDE, AGP, USB ect. then ran SP2.

The instalation has been on for well over two years so I guess it's time anyway for a format :lol: and SP2 has been on since it was released and unlike others SP2 caused me no problems at all. :shock:

Thanks for your thoughts and if you have any other ideas please post them. I'm going away for a week so If I don't answer for a while you'll know why, thanks again.
N/A

Further thoughts Ivan

Hi torret,

I definately recommend that if you cannot get to the bottom of this problem in the near future then the next most logical solution would be a completely fresh install of XP & SP2 which means a full reformat & re-partition of the HDD's. I'm sure this would solve it but thats not really the entire point, if you do a complete system rebuild that will solve it but you wont know why or what caused the original issue and so if it re-occurs what then?

I also agree with mwright this still could well be an NTFS file system related issue as he said it could be file & folder permissions & the SID. Do you have NTFS compression enabled on the drive? or encryption de-cryption on the fly enabled on drive?

Ivan

F9 FOL Forum Moderator