cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unseen hard drive problem

N/A

I have replaced my old back up 4.3g HDD with a new unformated 80g maxtor HDD. And why not, they are so cheap nowadays. Anyway to the problem, I can't get at it to use it. it's on the primary IDE and set to slave, it's correctly seen and listed in the:
1. Bios
2, Device manager, which reports 'this device is working properly'. Location 0(0)
3, System Information/Storage/disks

But not seen or listed in:
1, System Information/Storage/Drives.
2, My Computer
3, Windows Explorer
4, Disk Defragmenter.

The following is from the 'System Information/Storage/Disks' page:

Description Disk drive
Manufacturer (Standard disk drives)
Model Maxtor 6Y080L0
Bytes/Sector 512
Media Loaded Yes
Media Type Fixed hard disk
Partitions 0
SCSI Bus 0
SCSI Logical Unit 0
SCSI Port 0
SCSI Target ID 0
Sectors/Track 63
Size 76.33 GB (81,956,689,920 bytes)
Total Cylinders 9,964
Total Sectors 160,071,660
Total Tracks 2,540,820
Tracks/Cylinder 255

This is also from 'System Information/Storage/IDE' page:

Name Primary IDE Channel
Manufacturer (Standard IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers)
Status OK
PNP Device ID PCIIDE\IDECHANNEL\4&127A70AC&0&0
I/O Port 0x000001F0-0x000001F7
I/O Port 0x000003F6-0x000003F6
IRQ Channel IRQ 14
Driver c:\windows\system32\drivers\atapi.sys (5.1.2600.1106 (xpsp1.020828-1920), 84.88 KB (86,912 bytes), 23/08/2001 13:00)

I have today replaced a CD/RW and DVD ROM with a combi unit on the secondary IDE (the wife melted and destroyed then by placing a table lamp to close) and it was recognised and installed by XP Home with no trouble, so I'm at a loss as to where I've gone wrong with the HDD.
I'm guessing the problem could be because it is not formated, but I can't get at it to format it. I know that a lot of you guys really know your stuff so any help you can offer would be great.
Thanks
8 REPLIES
N/A

Control Panel - Administrative Tools - Computer Management -
Disk Management . Can you see drive ?
Right click, then click 'Initialise'.
Choose NTFS filing system.
Alec
N/A

Thanks Alec, job done. Simple when you know how, but a pain when you don't.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Wish I'd seen the answer a few weeks ago, this has been bugging me for months, I must have got the same info from a different source at about the same time, as you say...easy when you know how...I wonder why Microsoft don't make this (and some others details like it) a bit less like a state secret.

However whilst in the same area, anybody know why I can't seem to install another MS operating system on to this newly initalised drive.

Which in my case would make it a tri-boot system (Win ME and 2k at the moment) thus:

I have an original Win 95 disk (full version), this could then be upgraded to Win 98SE or ME (both upgrade disks), and then the ultimate goal to install Win XP Home (also upgrade disk)

But I can't get past the loading Win 95 onto the new disk yet, I get dreaded notes from the O/s that I can't install Win 95 on that disk etc. etc.

Anyone with ideas please
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
N/A

W95 won't recognise the NTFS file format.
Have you tried with the XP disk ? I know it's an
upgrade disk ( but it may contain the entire OS ) once you run it, I think you may be asked to insert your pevious disk as evidence. However, I note you also have a series of upgrade disc's so I'm not sure how that will
work out, but worth a try.
You could try re- formatting in FAT 32
(the partition size will be limited to 32GB)
and then try installing W95 on that, working upwards.
Ezos boot disks work in this type of situation but support
W98se onwards.
Alec.
Community Veteran

Do you have access to a full Win98SE, NT or 2K install CD - you don't need a serial key for it. You also need to be able to boot of a CD.

If so then...

Begin the windows install as if it was the full version, during the install you will be prompted for a previous operating system, at his point put your old operating system CD in the drive and browse to the I386 folder (for Windows NT or 2000), WIN9X folder (for Windows ME), or WIN98 folder (for Windows 9Cool. Click ok, the windows upgrade will confirm this is a full version and continue with the upgrade (after you replace the upgrade CD)
Community Veteran

Thank's Alec,

unfortunately (depending on your point of view), I haven't chosen to use NTFS, my whole system including Win 2k is in FAT32, partly because NTFSing is a one-way trip, once you've done it there's no way back...if I had made this change I could understand my problem completely.

When I try to load the Win 95 (full programme) it just tells me I can't install over Win ME (or whichever O/s I'm in at the time) it won't allow me to install another O/s on a completly clean new HDD starting with a downgrade.

Just a thought though...I wonder if I could go through the motions of upgrading the ME (which is the system O/s C drive) to 2k, but selecting the new drive when selecting a location, d'you think that might work? and then upgrade to XP.

But I don't want to damage the ME as it's the primary O/s (although I don't use it) and without it I can't boot my PC.

The plan is to have both 2k and XP to play with and eventually uninstall the one that looks the best in use, yes! I know they're very similar in construction, but so many people rave about XP (possibly because they've no had experience of anything else) I'd like to see what Im missing.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

I have just found you can use a Win95 full install CD to confirm your eligability to install the XP upgrade so add WIn95 to the list I gave.

How are you booting between the 2 installs - are you using a boot manager?

Have you created a separate partition for installing XP?

The following may be useful: http://www.windows-help.info/xp_clninstall.htm
Community Veteran

Hi thanks for that Peter,

Phew!! thank goodness for that, all of my O/s disks are upgrades except the Win 95 (1st edition) I actually have upgrades from 98Se to XP, but I don't have the later 95 with USB support.

My Asus mother board has Win 2k support so I press F1 at boot to select 2k or not to opt for ME

I have 3 HDD's in my PC:
C 8Gb which has Win ME
D 40Gb which is new and blank but formatted (which replaced a previous faulty drive hence the out of sequence drive letters)
E 20Gb which has Win 2k on it

They are 3 phsically seperate drives not partitions.

Both O/s have their own internet set up, and work completely independently from each other, although I can (if I wanted to) swap files between them, one of the reasons I don't move to NTFS.

Many thanks again for your help.