cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Uninstalling May's Security Updates

RobDickson
Grafter

I have found that this month's security updates have caused me problems. Firstly Outlook 2003 runs slowly (easily solved). Secondly, my PC no longer recognises my Palm Tungsten T5 PDA. The first one is definitely down to KB931768. The second one is definitely down to one of the security updates, but I'm not sure whether it's due to KB931768 or KB930916.

If I only ever use IE7 to download the monthly security updates, and use Firefox for everything else, then I suppose there's not a major problem with uninstalling the cummulitive update to IE7.

I do remember updates used to state that they were needed "even if you do not use IE as your browser", but I haven't seen MS say this in years.

I'd appreciate any comments about un-installing these updates.
4 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 57

Can't comment on the safety or otherwise but I just uninstalled it and Outlook is much faster
RobDickson
Grafter

I wouldn't have uninstalled the update just to make Outlook 2003 run faster, when there is a much easier solution, but I can't find any solution to my PDA problem, so might have to uninstall it.

Edit: Sorry for my bad manners, I forgot to thank you for your reply.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 57

No problem - I wasn't too sure that the other method would be 100% effective having tried the registry tweaks and reverted to rich text. The rich text solved the slow typing problem but Outlook was still very slow.
However as a direct comparison I tried what you suggest and then reinstalled the update and the speeds are back to where they should be.
One day someone will explain why such a small change fixes the problem.
RobDickson
Grafter

I don't like starting Outlook in the Outlook Today mode, but I do prefer simple methods to solve problems. I don't expect it will be long before Microsoft issues an updated update.