cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to ping NIC

N/A

Unable to ping NIC

Hi,

I'm trying to set up a simple(!) peer-to-peer network, via a 4 port hub, with Internet Connection Sharing via Voyager 205 ADSL USB modem. Both machines are running XP Pro

I think I've messed up the ICS machine somehow, I can't get the NIC on that machine to ping itself or to reply to a ping from the other machine. The non-ICS machine replies to pings OK, as does the ADSL modem

IPCONFIG shows that DHCP is not enabled on the ICS machine's NIC, and I'm guessing that's the problem? I can see there's a DHCP client running on the machine, but I don't know how to re-enable DHCP for the NIC. Uninstalling and reinstalling the card (NETGEAR FA311 Fast Ethernet Adapter) didn't fix it. Mr Gates' Network Setup Wizard didn't fix it either.

Please can anyone help?

Alan
5 REPLIES
N/A

Unable to ping NIC

Hi Alan,

Is probably best to set up your network manually. I hate the network wizard.

For a step by step guide to setting up a network manually se the excellent tutorial created by a fellow user, buzzons.

http://www.buzzons.co.uk/tutorials/network/network.htm

If you follow that you should have no problems.

If we can help further let us know.

Good luck

Mark
N/A

Unable to ping NIC

wee
N/A

Unable to ping NIC

thats 2 pints u owe me buzz :lol:
N/A

Unable to ping NIC

it is indeed.. so unfair ! just cos you get to the posts faster than me!

Would love it if plusnet take the tute and host it else where so my own bandwidth on my site is not used as it hosted with them. They could move it to the PN site so its there bandwidth Smiley as it is such an awsome tutorial Smiley

Buz
N/A

Unable to ping NIC

Fair point.

Mebbes the tutorial team could adopt it. hint hint Wink