cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to network XP and 98SE via BT Voyager

N/A

I'm trying to network a new PC running XP Pro with an old PC running WIN98SE, to enable file and printer sharing. Both are located in the same room and are connected to a BT Voyager 2100 ADSL router via ethernet cards/cables, and both can connect OK to PlusNet. The XP machine is connected directly to a printer, and prints OK.

I've run the XP Network Wizard, created a network setup disk and run that on the 98SE machine. Both computers have different names and the same workgroup name, and shared folders have been set up on both. Neither computer can see the other and the 98SE machine can't see the printer. Clicking 'view workgoup computers' on the XP machine produces a long delay, then a message saying the workgroup is not accessible. Checking through all networking menus, I can't see any obvious errors.

I'm stuck. Prsumably the BT router does support networking? Could the firewalls be preventing access? (The XP firewall is turned off, but both machines are running Norton and there is presumably also a firewall in the router).

Does this sound familiar to anyone?

cheers

Steve
3 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Yes idd! I had this a long time ago,(no longer have the same setup though so can't quite recall for sure) but I think I did have to put each pc's address into trusted network zone in my firewalls! I was running ZoneAlarm, but I would imagine Nortons has a similar "trusted" area!

From the sounds of it you have done everything else ok! Best of luck. Wink
N/A

Seventhstar

Thanks for your reply. Indeed it was Norton Personal Firewall blocking the network. Under 'configure' it has a Networking tab, and the IP address of the BT router had to be added to 'trusted zones'. Usually Norton has the decency to tell you when it is blocking something, not in this case, but you live and learn. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

Steve
Community Veteran

Hey no probs! Smiley

Glad you worked through it. Good job fella! Wink