cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to access XP Home share from XP Pro

N/A

Help needed as I've run out of ideas....

The scenario:
Two PCs on a network each share their "Shared Documents" folders. The folder on the XP Pro PC (#1) is visible and accessible to the XP Home PC (#2), but #2 cannot be accessed from #1. Despite both PCs using identical user account names/passwords (with Administrator status) attempting to access the share on #2 results in a "Logon failure: the user has not been granted the requested logon type at this computer" message. I've been round the houses many times checking the network config and everything seems to be correct i.e. pings return, internet connectivity works, shares are configured correctly, workgroup name is the same etc. Disabling the Windows firewall makes no difference. Can anyone suggest a solution?
7 REPLIES
Njal
Grafter

Administrative tools set correctly?

Control panel
Administrative Tools
Security settings
Local Policies
User Rights Assignment

Is 'Access this computer from the network' blank or containing wrong info?

This is for Pro, may be different on Home!

Regards

Neil
N/A

Thanks for the reply Neil.

XP Home doesn't have 'Local Security Policies' in Admin Tools, unfortunately.

I know Home is the 'dumbed-down' version of the OS but it should still allow sharing of resources over a workgroup, which is why I'm stumped. All indications in the folder's Properties dialogue are that the share should be accessible yet logon is being refused. It's driving me (and my g/f, whose PCs they are) crazy!

Alan
Njal
Grafter

N/A

Neil,

Thanks a lot! That first link describes our problem exactly. Off to try the solution now - will report back asap.

Cheers again,
Alan
N/A

Success! The link to the computing.net article provided the solution and all shares on the XP Home machine are now visible and accessible to the other PCs on the network. Thanks very much Neil - I dare say I'd have found the solution myself eventually but I had a feeling that asking here would yield quicker results. My g/f's kids can now see each other's computers and move their 'stuff' around to their hearts' content. Peace reigns at last! :-)

Many thanks again. Both web sites bookmarked for future reference.

Alan
Njal
Grafter

I'm up in Fort William in a few weeks, you can buy me beer if you like! Glad it's working

Regards,

Neil
N/A

I've just got home this evening from my g/f's in Aberdeenshire ( she sends her thanks btw). She's working at Nevis Range from Tuesday to Friday so if you PM me contact details I'm sure Jane would gladly buy you an ale in gratitude if possible. Failing that we'll be in Glasgow Friday evening if that's any use?

Alan