cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USB internal memory card reader

N/A

Hi All

Can anyone help here? my son has just bought a Time computer which came with an internal memory card reader which also has a USB port, as he didn't think he would have much need for this I have put it in my computer, I unplugged the extra USB ports from the motherboard and plugged in this unit, when I insert a smartcard nothing happens, if I plug a USB device into it I get the message that it is not recognised. I think the unit uses USB 2.0 whereas I think my computer is USB 1.1. The only driver I could find on the driver disc was a USB 2.0 interface, which I installed, but this made no difference.
Is it that it is incompatible? would I need one that runs on USB 1.1?

My sons computer is an AMD 2600+ mine is an AMD 1800+ both running windows XP

Thanks in advance.

Ken Lingard
5 REPLIES
N/A

At a guess, and that's all it is, if the cardreader does need USB2, then you will need to install a USB 2 interface card in your PC in order for this device to work.

www.scan.co.uk have a selection of interface cards under £20. Scan I know of and use a lot, the cards in question I have never used and so can't recommend any.

Good luck!
N/A

My guess is the card readers are intergrated devices, using hardwired USB technology for connection to the system.

How does the device connect to the mothboard of your system?
USB header on motherboard
PCI connector board
other

My guess here, is the USB header.

If your system only supports USB 1.1, then your out of luck, unless you get a PCI USB2 board, that the device can be connected to.

While USB is supposed to be 100% backwards compatiable, it is not allways so. In most cases, this is because the device intentionaly designed for the USB2 features, and as such won't fucntion on 1.1

My advice would be to purchase a seperate USB2 card, though make sure it has the connector needed for this board.
N/A

USB internal card reader

Thanks for the reply's guys.
Yes it connects direct to the motherboard in the USB socket. It looks like I'll have to buy a USB 2.0 pci card.
If I do, will USB 2.0 devices run from this O.K. whilst USB 1.1 devices will still run from the original USB sockets? My scanner is USB 1.1. From the info I've found so far USB 1.1 will run from USB 2.0 sockets, but only at their normal speed.

Thanks again

Ken Lingard
N/A

Yes, USB2 cards are backwards compatable.

However, not all USB2 devices are backwards compatable.

When you purchase a USB2 card, make sure it has the correct header (connector) on it.

Without this, ti will be pointless.
N/A

USB internal card reader

Okey doke. Thanks again.

Ken