cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USB Modems & Macs

N/A

USB Modems & Macs

Anybody using a USB modem and Mac OS X know now to stop the modem completely bugging up when the machine goes to sleep.

When I wake the machine up although the modem seems to be powered and syncing with the network the mac can't access the modem.

After a little investigation I have traced the cause of this back to the Ethernet Port (en1) which gets created when installing the USB modem is disabled after the machine comes out of sleep, the only way to reenable it seems to be to restart the machine which is really annoying.

I'm angry about this because I specifically contacted Plus.net before ordering my ADSL service to check that the modem they shipped with the service didn't suffer from this problem and got the standard sales quote of the modem is completely compatable with Mac OSX. :x

Failing that, anyone recommend a good Ethernet based modem which can be easily configured with Mac OS X?

Also do I own the modem or does Plus.net, I think I might be selling it in the near future.

Cheers
Trevor
6 REPLIES
N/A

USB Modems & Macs

I'm in the same boat as you, with the occasional dropped connection when the Mac is on, and yes plusnet also promised me there would be no problems with using their USB modems with Macs. I could moan about that here, but it isn't the time or place!

It should just be a case of unplugging the modem from the Mac's USB port, waiting about 10 secs, plugging it back in, and waiting another 10 secs. Your connection should be back up. I've tried this a couple of times now, and it's worked on most of them, and failed on one. Granted, it's an absolute pain in the backside, but it usually works

Also, if you use Acquisition in about an hour my connection to the internet will drop as if i'd sent the mac to sleep, and I can't figure out why!

Not sure about the ownership of the modem, though I'd be tempted to say it's ours as we've registered it with Binatone. Presumably, if it were on loan to us, we shouldn't have to?

Ad
(Message edited to get rid of the hideously complicated method originally posted!)
N/A

USB Modems & Macs

Just DON'T use USB modems. Use a router instead. The Solwise router is reliable and farly easy to set up.
jra2
Dabbler

Mac OSX Mail Logon problem

Using Mac v10.3.3/ MacMail v1.3.7 cannot connect to my .plus.com mail - following message appears:-

"SMTP server "relay.plus.net" rejected the password for .........
Please re-enter your password"

Repeated attempts to enter password don't work
Your help will be appreciated
N/A

USB Modems & Macs

You should not use authentication with the outgoing (SMTP - relay.plus.net) server, unless you are on one of the services packages.

If you are on a standard PlusNet dialup or DSL package, then disable it.
jra2
Dabbler

USB Modems & Macs

Thanks for your response, but, how/where do I disable the authentication please?
I'm on a standard DSL package using an Ethernet Router
TIA
John
jra2
Dabbler

USB Modems & Macs

Please ignore my previous post - found, did it, and now seems to work ;-))
Many thanks
John