Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USB Modem Choice

Del
Grafter

USB Modem Choice

Smiley Hi All,

I've been with Plusnet for well over a year now and when I first joined I was supplied with the starter package which included the Dynamode A360 USB Modem.

Now what I would like to ask anyone in the know is would it be worth my while upgrading my USB Modem as my current PC has USB 2 ports which I've read are 40 times faster than USB 1(although I don't expect 40 times faster speed if I did upgrade) or would there be no improvement to speak off?

Thanks

Del
6 REPLIES
Community Veteran

USB Modem Choice

The best upgrade would be to ditch the usb modem and get an ethernet router.

Chris
Community Veteran

USB Modem Choice

You would get no improvement in speed using USB. USB1.1 already supports 12Mbs which is way above your current ADSL connection, even if you were running 2Mb ADSL. USB 2 can run at 480Mbs but that will not give you any better speeds. Also remember that USB requires CPU resources to run.

If you intend to change your current modem than I would not recommed getting a USB modem. Instead get an external Ethernet modem/router that connects via the much more reliable Ethernet or network port. If you don't have one then you will need to buy a network card which are about £5.
Del
Grafter

USB Modem Choice

Smiley Thanks for the advice guys,

On checking my device manager I see my PC has a 'Realtek RTL8139/810X Family Fast Ethernet NIC'

Which Ethernet Modem/Router would you recommend?
Community Veteran

USB Modem Choice

I'd recommend the NetGear DG834, its not too pricey, simple to setup, secure and reliable.

Chris
Del
Grafter

USB Modem Choice

Smiley Thanks Chris,

One more thing, sorry for sounding stupid but is it ok to switch off the DG834 or is it best to leave it on at all times.

Del
Community Veteran

USB Modem Choice

You can turn it of if you like or just leave it running. Either is fine and it depends just what you want to do.
I turn my router off along with all my PC gear when I go to bed but I've just been to see a customer who I set up on ADSL in June this year and his Netgear router has been connected since then Cool