cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USB /Ethernet home network setup problems

N/A

Hi

Need some help in setting up my usb /ethernet home network. I have my 2 computers connected with usb/ethernet adapters and crossover cable. Each computer would appear to know that a cable is connected or disconnected BUT as I don't know (didn't realise) I had to manually set up configuration at each end all I get is 'aquiring network address' followed by 'limited or no connectivity'

What do I need to set this connection up

Thanks

Graham
10 REPLIES
N/A

Set both computers will IP's on the same 192.168.x.x range (manually assign IP addresses on both computers) and subnet mask 255.255.255.0

If either of the computers is already connected to the network it is important that the IP range you choose is different to the exisiting network, i.e. if the existing network used IP addresses in the range 192.168.1.x then your cross-over connection will need to be in the range 192.168.2.x
N/A

Thanks that connected me up. Is there anything else worth knowing about using such a connection as help like yours is invaluable and what makes forums such a great way of learning

Thanks again

Graham
Alphakk1
Grafter

What OS do you use?

If XP click start look for connect to and click on show all connections.

Right click on connection choose properties, on the general tab you see a box window scroll down to Internet protocol tcp/ip highlight it and click properties.

You will see another tab window click on use the following IP address and enter IP manually eg 192.168.1.1, 192.168.1.2 for submask it should appear if not enter 255.255.255.0

Default gateway can be left blank unless you plan to use/share internet between computers.

If yes then enter the IP address for the computer that has the internet on the computer that doesn't default gateway IP address

For DNS ask Plusnet if needed.

Long winded but won't take as long as it looks.
N/A

Connected BUT when trying to access the contents of shared folders etc on the other computer I am getting not accessable you might not have permission to use this network resource

any ideas ?
The_10th
Grafter

You will need to belong to the same Workgroup which is called 'WORKGROUP' by default. I remember that you go through the network wizard to add a workgroup to both PCs and name the groups the same on both. Also, ensure that if you have a software firewall it allows NETBIOS - zonealarm should have lan side set to medium.

Best Wishes.
N/A

You also need to connect with the right username and password. You can get around it if you know what your doing but its simpler if you have an account on each pc with the same username and password and log on with that account on both pc's.

Also are you using xp home or pro version? the best way to connect is to goto start then run type cmd and then in the box type

net use p: \\theothercomputers ip\c$ passwordfor the pc /user:usernameonotherpc.

so you would have something like
net use p: \\10.0.0.1\c$ password /user:admin

this will give you the drive c of the other pc as your drive p.

once you connect you can save the command in notepad and save it on your desktop as connect.cmd then you can just click on it to connect in the future
N/A

will this cmd interfere with my broadband connection if I use it.

Also

How do I change Zonealarm NETBIOS setting - I can't see where to check it or alter it.
The_10th
Grafter

Firewall > Main tab > Trusted Zone Security -- set to medium to allow sharing. You can set 'trusted IP range (e.g. 192.168.0.1 - 254) in the 'Zones' tab.

HTH.
N/A

Thanks

Graham
N/A

cmd has no effect on the broadband what so ever.