cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

US Robotics Wireless Network

N/A

Have just installed USR 9106 ADSL Router which is connected to main machine (Windows XP) via NIC card. Remote machine (Windows ME) has a 5416 Wireless PCI card.

Internet sharing is fine on both machines (very good signal) but I am having trouble establishing network connection of remote machine. I'm sure the problems lies somewhere in the TCP/IP settings, but these are not automatically obtained by remote machine.

Any suggestions?
6 REPLIES
N/A

Its not clear from you mesage what the problem is. Do you have 3 pc or just the two? do you mean the 2 pc's can connect to the internet but not each other?

Can you give us a network settings of both pc and make it a bit clearer what the problem is?
N/A

Thanks for your reply. I will do my best to explain.

I have 2 pc's. The first (running XP) is connected to the modem/router via ethernet cable and is fine. I can access the internet and have also set up and can connect to a LAN (via the router).

It is the second machine (Windows ME) that is the problem. It is connected to the modem/router wirelessly. The connection is fine and I can access the internet via the router. The problem is the network connection - or rather lack of it. During the process of building the network I created (as prompted) a network setup floppy disk to take account of the different operating versions of Windows. Despite running this setup programme I cannot connect to the LAN. In fact when I go to My Network Places and double click on Entire Network I get a Windows error message saying "Unable to browse the network. Windows is unable to access the network". I am using Microsoft Network Client. TCP/IP is enabled and picking up the address of the router automatically (and correctly). If I enter the Router ip address in my browser then I can access the router's setup programme. It seems therefore that the fault lies in the way I have set up networking on the second machine, rather than in the network itself. I have been through all combinations of the questions posed by the network troubleshooting wizard only to be told "No further help is available"

Hope this is sufficient information. Thanks in advance
N/A

Hi Strongfamily,

If you can access the internet on the 2nd machine then you have got the network working - I suspect that either the two machines are on different domains (make sure under my network places they are in the same one - default is MShome for ICS). Alternatively have you shared any directories on either machine ? if they aren't shared you won't see anything.

Also I find Windows ME is very slow in detecting that it's connected to a network - I used to have the same setup as you (but not wireless) and it would take ages for the network to realise it was working - however once it's actually detected the other pc you'll have a semi permanent record in my network places which seems to react much faster when you boot up.
BTW in the end I switched to a router and now both pcs talk to each other immidiately...

DinAlt

Oh last thouht - have you got any software firewalls up ? this would give the same effect you're seeing if they're not set up properly
N/A

hi,

I just got the USR 9106 too, works fine, good signal too. I dont understand how to set the WEP keys...can anyone please advise me on that? strongfamily or mrwright, any of you guys know?
Im sure I dont just think of 10 or 13 numbers to type in as a key...where do I get they key from and should it be set to 64 bit or 128 bit?

Any advice on this would be welcome.
N/A

WEP encryption

Hi,

the WEP key for 128 bit encryption is any 13 digit password you make up comprising the numbers from 0 to 9 and the letters from a to f. Go to "Wireless AP" on the USR Configurator, enable WEP and type in your chosen key. Don't forget to put the same key on each machine with a card in it.

A further security setting you should consider is to put the MAC address of all of your cards on the router/modem. Go back to the "Wireless AP" setting on the Configurator and put in the hexadecimal address of the cards (look on the cards or the packaging they came in). The form of the address is pairs of letters/numbers separated by colons.

The USR website has got a good instruction manual/tutorial

I have set up both WEP and MAC filtering
N/A

128 bits means a 13 character binary string and is not restricted to the our 62 character alphabet, but the whole 256 variations of the 8 bit binary alphabet.

However, some devices ask for it in Hexidecimal form (BASE16). This is a 26 character string represented using values of 0 to 9 and A through F.