cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

UPS and router

craiglay
Grafter

UPS and router

Because of the almost hourly power poblems our area has been having, I have invested in a UPS. Such problems are brownouts, cuts and large surges.

I have a line interactive Belkin Regulator Pro that works like a dream on my PC, TFT monitor, and Router keeping them running for 10 mins before safely shutting down with battery to spare.

My problem is that even under testing, the router looses sync and fails to autenticate, despite repeatedly syncing and loosing. When the power returns, the router will still fail until rebooted. LAN and WLAN is unaffected as is the PC.

The router is a Netgear DG834G.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance
3 REPLIES
N/A

UPS and router

I can only guess that its interferance from the ups thats the problem if its close to the router or the phone line it may becausing the problem. I often find its worth getting a portable radio tune it off a station and then move it near the wires etc and see if it pick anything up.
Denzil
Grafter

UPS and router

The battery in a UPS hasto deliver a large current at 12V in order to provide the power to run the PC. It could be that the UPS is emitting large electromagnetic pulses as it is switching between battery and mains and switching the large current on and off.

Have you tried moving the UPS as far away from the electronics as you can?
craiglay
Grafter

UPS and router

Thanks for the replies.

I have tried everything now, I can only imagine the very minimal switch to battery or an electromagnetic pulse is affecting it and it doesn't want to play. At least the PC is protected.

Thanks again, Craig