cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Two modems instead of a network

N/A

This may sound like a stupid idea for some people but stay with me...

1) I have my computer upstairs with the usb modem connected and working fine.

2) My PS2 is downstairs not online but it does have a phone line right behind it.

Initially I was thinking of having a wirless router wired to the PS2 with the computer upstairs being wirlessly connected. What I am wondering is, instead of that could I just have an additional modem/router behind the PS2? so effectively having two modems running on the same line?
I'd only have to purchase one modem/router that way.

Would/could that work?

Cheers.
10 REPLIES
shellsong
Grafter

Two ADSL routers cannot function on the same line together
N/A

Ok. Thanks!

How about though... If they're not connected at the same time?? Could that work?
N/A

Yeah, you could do that, but if I were you I'd keep it simple and use wireless - you'll probably get much better speeds on a wireless router plugged into the main socket downstairs than you would on one plugged in upstairs.

Cheaper to only have to buy one as well... Wink
shellsong
Grafter

Alternatively forget the wireless, get a router modem unless your modem already has an ethernet connector as well as the USB and run some CAT5e ethernet cable upstairs to the computer (the wired connection would be quicker than wireless) Wink
N/A

You cant have 2 modems plugged in at the same time or neither will work(even if they are not connected). So if you are going to use 2 you will have to remove the other one before you can plug in the next one
N/A

Thanks for your replies everybody.

Think I'll get the wireless router downstairs where it can be wired to the playstation and the upstairs one will connect wirelessly. This was my original plan (obviously), I was just checking out the other options.

Thanks again...
oliverb
Grafter

Or you might consider using "Homeplug" adapters which transfer data via the mains wiring. Not tried it myself but it's supposed to be better than wireless when going from floor to floor.
N/A

you could get a second phone line put in, and wired to the jack behind the PS2 so that it has its own dedicated adsl connection, but then you would need a second ADSL acount...

Easier to just run cat5e to your ps2 from the modem/router upstairs

Wireless may/may not work, depending on how far the router and PC will be from each other, and what kind of walls//floors it has to go through.
N/A

I did look at the mains network option, still might be the best option I think.

I can't really run network cables round the house as it's a rented property and I don't really want to be drilling holes in things.
N/A

networking over power totally relies on the power cables being good, you may find that you get a really poor data rate over your cables, so it maybe better investing in a wireless router, and a wireless access point to boost the signal.