cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Two hard drives both with data

N/A

Without trying it first if i put my hard drive from my old computer into my new one alongside the existing hard drive what would happen.

After reading stuff on the internet i have discovered that I can have two drives and I can use one for backing up. They are both different manufacturers will that matter.

Any advice appreciated
22 REPLIES
Community Veteran

You can actually connect up to 4 devices, 2 on each of the two IDE channels so with a main hard disk & a CD/DVD drive that leaves 2 free to connect other drives to. The IDE channels should be labeled on the motherboard.

Each channel must have one drive configured as master and the other configured as slave so you need to look at the labels on both drives to see how to configure them. This is normally done with adding or removing links on the pins next to where the IDE cable plugs in but different drives have different ways to configure maser/slave mode. Normally you put your boot drive as master and the 2nd drive as slave.

You will also need a ribbon cable with 2 connectors on it and not all PCs are fitted with them. You should already have 2 IDE cables being used, one connecting to your main drive and the 2nd connecting to your CD/DVD drive.

Finally, BE VERY CAREFUL when connecting the IDE cable to the drive as it is keyed and must be inserted the right way round.
N/A

you can have diff makes and sizes in a PC and its easy to setup different disk backup tools (google them , there are a lot that are free)
Community Veteran

Finally, BE VERY CAREFUL when connecting the IDE cable to the drive as it is keyed and must be inserted the right way round.

Most are keyed as Peter says and its hard to get them in the wrong way. However there are some cables I have come across that are not keyed and could be inserted either way.
If you have one like this then you should find one of the wires at the edge is tinted red. This is wire no 1 and insert the plug so that red colouring is nearest to the power cable socket on the hard driveand all will be well.
Midville
Grafter

Or you could use a hard drive caddy, if you dont feel like opening up your PC. Just plug it into a usb or firewire port and off you go.

But changing hard drive is easy, just take your time and you will be fine.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 57

Deleted as not relevant given Op's last post
N/A

your a bright spark and thing CS can cause issues? *votes for the removeal of your title* CS hasnt caused issues for well lets see.. ever.and you all make it out like his PC will blow up if he doesnt set the jumpers right.. nothing will happen! the disk wont show up clearly, but other than that... nout, no smoke no fire and o damage!

to be fair im surprised some one doesnt know how to do this, but your not helpign his confidence by makin this sound so damn bad.

just read :: http://compreviews.about.com/od/tutorials/ss/DIYPriHD.htm

and change the jumper you set it to (either slave or Cable Select)
Community Veteran
Fixes: 57

Deleted
N/A

As buzzons says don’t panic or worry about it, your pc wont blow up if you get the jumpers wrong lol. Man some people go into such depth its unbelievable, adding a hd can be done by just about anybody.

Look at it this way, you have 2 IDE channels (thats integrated drive electronics for hotlane :lol: ) one channel is your primary master and primary slave the other channel is your secondary master and secondary slave.

Normally you will have your main hard drive (boot) connected to the primary master and your dvdrom/rw connected to the secondary master.

You can add another drive to each channel. If adding another hard drive set the jumper to master on your main drive (if not already done) and set the jumper on your new drive to slave. As stated above, on an ide cable the furthest away plug from the motherboard needs to be plugged into the master drive.
N/A

I can personally say that my dad taught me to never use CS. I dont know why I have never really asked him, but once I started working they always used CS. Its mainly preference nowadays but surely sometime in the past it must of caused issues otherwise so many older people or people taught by older generations would not be fore-warned of its use.

I actually think hotlanes reply was great, 4 posters missed the jumper issue and although it cant cause severe problems if someone is unaware of it and have both drives set to master, its just not going to work is it.

So well done hotlane and CS is a preference buzzons, some folk use it some dont.

I dont use CS myself mainly because I like to set whats master and whats slave so I know exactly whats what.
OldDave
Grafter

Not a bright spark but how do you know that Vocations new PC has got an IDE HD drive and not a SATA HD?
If the new drive is SATA and old one is IDE then shouldn't old one be left as master?
N/A

Good point lol, but who is saying his old drive isnt a SATA or maybe his old drive is set as CS.

Whatever the weather, its better to understand your jumpers than to ignore it and hope for the best when you boot up. Thats why hotlanes post is a good one and reason he has his title, he let the thread starter be aware of hard drive jumpers when no one else did.
N/A

If the new drive is SATA and old one is IDE then shouldn't old one be left as master?

Yes, if he's adding an IDE drive to his pc but his other drive is SATA he can just set the old drive to master.
N/A

Would setting it to CS or Slave cause issues though?

Moderators note by John (johnessex)n Full quote of preceding post removed as per the Link:rules
N/A

I’m not sure if the old drive is set to slave whether it will be picked up or not, if using CS though i cant see why it wouldn’t work. Also if it’s the only drive on that channel you don’t even have to use a jumper.