cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Two Router Setup

N/A

Two Router Setup

Wondering if someone could help with this annoying problem I have.

I have a block of 8 IP addresses with PN. I have one server at the moment but shortly would like to add two. Anyway, I have recently bought a D-Link DSL-504 NoNat router and have set up NoNat successfully and all the IP addresses, apart from one are pointing at my server. The last one is then pointing at my second router (router2) which is x.x.x.134/10.0.0.1. The router is also set up as a DHCP server. My 3 computers and laptop will be on this LAN.

I am choosing to set it up this was as I want to the server on its own IP, and also want a seperate local area network.

Basically, the way I've said below..

x.x.x.128 Gateway
x.x.x.129 Router 1
x.x.x.130 Server
x.x.x.131 Server
x.x.x.132 Server
x.x.x.133 Server
x.x.x.134 Router 2
x.x.x.135 Broadcast

Router 2, as I said above, is using .134 as its main IP address, then I have set DHCP in router 2 which is serving a 10.0.0.x range.

It can, and does connect but after around 2 to 5 minutes, the connection appears to drop. I cannot view any websites, sign onto messenger, or even ping anything. It then needs rebooting for the connection to pick up. If it is left for a longer period, the router seems to bomb out, I'm not even able to login to the config page at http://10.0.0.1

I've put a diagram online to make the "layout" - http://www.lkhnet.plus.com

What I can't understand that it only works for a few minutes. I would of either thought it would work or not work.

If anyone can shed any light on this I would be very, very grateful as it's been confusing me for nights on end now.

Cheers
9 REPLIES
N/A

Two Router Setup

I take it the sever with the other ip's assigned to it also looses its conection to the net. What type of router is the second one. Have you the latest firmware on the 504t..? what does it logs say when it drops the conection.?
N/A

Two Router Setup

The first router, and the server doesn't loose connection at all, it's only the second router and all of the computers on the internal range supplied by the DHCP server within the router.

The second router is the D-Link DI-804HV and it also has the latest firmware.

I did use the 2nd router as my main router, before I used NoNat and it used to stay connected for weeks without trouble. It's only since I've wanted to daisy chain them that I'm having problems.

Any other help would be great as I'm still scratching my head over this one.
N/A

Two Router Setup

Do the logs of the second router give any indications..? (Oh by the way you can set up the 504t for no nat ppp unnumbered and be able to pass all the ip addresses through except the gateway and bcast). I had a problem one with my router dlink, i saved the config. did a factory reset then reaplyed the config and it all worked, might be worth a try. Have you set up the router with the correct wan details, gateway address of router 1 , right subnet address and dns entrys. When it dies can you ping the first router x.x.x.129 or is this not getting through..?
N/A

Two Router Setup

The log of the second router doesn't give any indicition as to why it's dropped the connection, but I have noticed that there's a lot of activity. Different IP addresses trying to access different ports.

I don't have the DSL-504T, I have the DSL-504, it's a totally different router.

I have set up the second router right, as it wouldn't connect at all if I didn't. I am also unable to ping the first router, plus.net, bbc.co.uk etc.

I've also tried resetting both routers to factory default numerous times and this hasn't helped either.

Any other ideas?
N/A

Two Router Setup

You can do the ppp unnumberered on the 504 aswell check out ftp://ftp.dlink.co.uk/dsl_routers_modems/ . Have you set up the router 2 firewall to forward only the required ports. Try using a diff ip address on the router, prolly make no diff but worth a try. is your router rev a or b..? Take it also you have set all non standard acount details on routers. But as you say it seems strange that it works then dies.
N/A

Two Router Setup

Looking at your drawing I assume the second router is connected to the first via a network cable?
If this is the case its not acting as a router just as a switch and that is were the problem is. ADSL routers are not what I call real routers as all they can do is pass everything to the adsl wan. A real router ie a Cisco can be told to pass ip to a certain interface.
We need a ipconfig /all from the pc on the 10.0 range. By default the router will issue a ip like 10.0.0.3 subnet 255.255.255.0 and default gateway of the router ip . This would work fine if it was connecting via adsl but if I have read it right it isnt. It will also issue a dns to the router ip which again it cant refil.

You could have saved money and just bought a switch. You could try setting the ip to static on a pc set it to 10.0.0.4 subnet 255.255.255.0 set the default gateway to the ip of the main router not the second one and set dns to +net dns and see if that works. If not post the ipconfig /all results and a tracert from the internal pc on the 10.0 range
N/A

Two Router Setup

Thanks for the replies. I will do this later and post the results.
N/A

Two Router Setup

Well, that definately WAS a weird one..

I've been assigned a bigger range of IP addresses from PN, and they took effect today. I have reconfigured Router 1 and there was no probs with connecting.

I decided to try the second router approach again, and whilst I was doing other things, left the radio streaming so I would know when the connection bombed out. It's now been well over 3 hours and I've not lost connection once!

I don't know what was causing it and how the issue has been resolved but I'm happy Smiley

Thanks for the suggestions guys.
N/A

Two Router Setup

I assume you have given the other pc's an IP in the same range as the servers so they are live on the net?

If this is the case you could replace the second router with a switch. On the original setup you would have problems as there was a direct connection from the 10.0. range to the first router. As 10.0 is allowed on to the internet it would give you some of the fun