cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trouble with my Computer

N/A

Trouble with my Computer

Hi I bought my machine in November, it has a asus a7n8x delux gold mobo, XP2800 processor, 1gb DDR 2700 in dual channel mode, 120 GB HDD, and a Asus Radeon 9800XT.

Up untill recently my computer has been completely stable not even needing a system restore, its been great. But recently been having a variety of problems with it.

1) When on the zone (zone.msn.com) my display completely died, there was a signal to the monitor but nothing displayed. It wouldn't come back when I tried to reboot, everytime windows tried to engage the graphics the same problem occured. So resotored by a few days and reinstalled my video drivers and it seemed to solve the problem. But it has happened since but the problem went away when I rebooted.

2) In games after my video problem I have had problems with sound. (The main game I have been playing is MW 4 mercenaries) I have never had a problem before but all my sound becomes distorted and warped, be in coms (ventrilo) or the ingame sound. This problem goes away when the game ends. Not a big one but really frustrating.

3)Slow Startup - Quite often when rebooting the conputer seems to hang in startup. Normally it runs very very fast, but when loading xfire, it seems to hang and won't load, the 3com network driver, and Asus Smartdoctor or msn messenger. The whole system just seems to lag out for a few minutes.

I have no clue what to do, I have tried reinstalling direct x, my video and audio drivers all to no avail. My system just seems really unstable at the moment and its driving me crazy, because it has been working great. If anyone has any ideas they would be most appreciated.
12 REPLIES
N/A

Trouble with my Computer

Me thinks u have a lot of spyware and trojans etc. Thats why its a bit slow

Try this programme its ment 2 be good

http://housecall.trendmicro.com/housecall/start_corp.asp

Its all i can think of really
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Trouble with my Computer

Would recommend you test the video card and monitor first if you have an old video card and monitor handy. If not see if you can borrow one from a friend.
Unvalued customer since 2001 funding cheap internet for others / DSL/Fibre house move 24 month regrade from 8th May 2017
N/A

Trouble with my Computer

If there's a hardware problem it should turn up in the POST ... http://www.computerhope.com/beep.htm might help diagnose it. You can tell what BIOS you have by watching the computer boot-up. If something dodgy happens during POST you will probably hear a number of beeps (rather than the usual one) in a code.
N/A

Trouble with my Computer

if it was a problem like that then you wouldnt be able to Boot into XP as it would fail the POST, so bleh :p

the gfx issue may be to do with the cooling on ur 9800 as they do run damn hot. open your case and check to see if the fan is rotating fine, if not, remove it and clean it out with a vacume cleaner (may get full of dust)

the sound issue may be due to a loose wire / incompatability / winodws patch gone wrong, download the latest drivers for your card and see if that fixes that prob (also applies to the vid)

slow start up is due to many things being installed and staring when u boot up, run Ad-aware and Spybot search and destroy to see what you have :S . also check msconfig (start -> run -> msconfig) and to go startup and untick all the stufff you do not want starting up.

worst comes to the worst reinstall windows Smiley

Buz
N/A

Trouble with my Computer

Do not open your computer without switching it off at the wall first and unplugging the plug.
If you have never removed a pci card from a computer before, get someone who you know can.

I would suggest that you get a chipset driver update first.
check your motherboard manual to see what your chipset is first.
im not sure about that board but it may be a via chipset. check it out.

you certainly do sound to have a hardare problem though and I agree it could be one of temperature.

do other people use the computer?

finally...there sometimes is a button activated on your keyboard as a shutdown mechanism. you could also be hitting this sleep mode button by mistake. it may be a small chance but i've seen it happen.
N/A

Trouble with my Computer

Chances are the video card is going south or has worked loose in the socket due to heat and expansion. This could account for all the problems you are encountering.
As mentioned above, turn off the PC, open the case and push down on the video card to ensure it is fully seated in the socket. Even better, is to remove it and then put it back, as this will also help clean the contacts.
N/A

Trouble with my Computer

Just out of curiosity...isn't it better to turn the computer off at the plug, but leave the plug in the socket? This way you can earth yourself by touching the case on the power supply (to avoid damaging components with a static charge).
N/A

Trouble with my Computer

Thanx for all the posts guys, but I have reinstalled all drivers relating to the problems I've been having and Bios won't detect a problem with the graphics if windows has a problem initialising the graphics adapter. There are no post errors, (my mobo also has a verbal post which is quite helpful).

I have opened the case and reseated the graphics card, also I don't think cooling is a problem, I always run the cooling on the GFX card at maximum and it rarely gets above 55-60, which is well within operating temps for the 9800XT. I also run 2 interior case fans as well. My mobo never gets above 30 and my CPU 55, so I really don't have a clue what is causing the problem.

I think a reinstall maybe the answer but I think I'll hold off untill I can get a new HDD. I think a 10K RPM SATA drive might be nice
N/A

Trouble with my Computer

i agree with that sterndale, providing that you can be assured the wall off switch works correctly.
when servicing equipment, it should be unplugged unless its a live test.
wrist earth straps provide the earth bond you would need when handling static sensitive parts.
N/A

Trouble with my Computer

humm raptors are indeed "the pie" when it comes to hard drives *(running two in Raid0 is also nice as you get 140ish gig of yummy 10 000 RPM)*

if you do go with the raptors make sure u get the westerndigial SATA cables as they provide greater strengh plugs on the hard drive side which can be very usefull if you do now want to snap of the SATA interface on ur nice new hard drive Cheesy

Buz
N/A

Trouble with my Computer

been thinking more about your problem tracey and i just realised it may not be software at all.
the fact that your system hangs at boot and you get powered down screens leads me to believe that your power suppl is on the way out.
i had this a while back and used to solve it with reboots. the power circuit is cooled a bit and then its able to work for a bit uninterupted.
could be that some of the power devices arent being cooled properly before they lock up.
have you got another comp to try the power supply from there?
on this site, you can calculate the power supply minimum needed for your comp.....maybe you have added devices beyond your power supply's ratings?
http://www.jscustompcs.com/power_supply/

good luck.
N/A

Trouble with my Computer

Fault is almost certainly hardware related. Power supply as suggested above is a distinct possibility, or Video card as mentioned earlier.