cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Transferring RAID array

N/A

Transferring RAID array

I have a RAID 1 array which I might want to transfer into a new motherboard. Is this going to work? Or will I have to reformat it because of the fact that it'll (most likely) be working off a different RAID controller?
5 REPLIES
N/A

Transferring RAID array

What type of raid controler are you useing and whats on the new board.? What is the data on the raid ie is it your os or just files. Read up on your controllers, might be able to just plug em in or maybe plug on drive in the tell the controllor to recreate the mirror on the fly keeping the info on the original disk. Ive donre this before with some compaq raid controllers with memory on them.
N/A

Transferring RAID array

It's a Silicon 3112a controller. I don't know what'll be on the new board, but it's unlikely to be the same controller unless I buy the same board again, which I won't do.

The data is data, not system files. You may be right about recreating the RAID on the fly, as being a mirror, both drives will have exactly the same info. I was just wondering whether the RAID controller itself wrote anything specific to the drives which would not be transferrable to a different controller.
N/A

Transferring RAID array

Look into you current controler as i know some do indeed write the raid info on the disk, others dont and keep that info on the controler. I know my old compaq ones put it on the disk but newer ones keep it on the controler. Have a look at this think this is the one. http://www.foxconnchannel.com/pdf/875A02-RAID%20manual-V1.0-En.pdf
N/A

Transferring RAID array

I think the answer lies in here (from my RAID manual):
When a RAID set is created, the metadata written to the disk includes drive connection information (Primary Channel, Secondary Channel). If, after a disk failure, the replacement disk was previously part of a RAID set (or used in another system), it may have conflicting metadata, specifically in reference to the drive connection information.

If so, this will prohibit the RAID set from being either created or rebuilt, In order for the RAID set to function properly, this old metadata must be first overwritten with the new metadata. To resolve this, select “Resolve Conflict” and the correct metadata, including the correct drive connection information, will be written to the replacement disk.

So presumably when I plug the discs into the new controller, it will find metadata that it doesn't understand. But it should offer the option to rebuild the RAID by mirroring from one disc to the other. Fingers crossed...
N/A

Transferring RAID array

Hopefully should write new data as you say, if you know what MB your getting next, go to their web site and dload the raid manual and check it out aswell.