cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Toolbar in IE7

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Toolbar in IE7

I've aquired an extra toolbar in my IE7 called "Security Toolbar 7.1" which has two green buttons in it: "block adware/popups" and "remove spyware" it also has a security level meter (currently reading 4/10 pressing either of these buttons brings up advertising windows for 3rd party software, which I've not been tempted to open, as I strongly suspect this is unwanted, and not one of Microsofts updates, but, how do I get rid of the toolbar? Right clicking the bar shows a "protection bar" ticked, but it won't untick...any ideas?
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
5 REPLIES
p_w_d_stone
Grafter

Toolbar in IE7

This appears to be very bad news.

See here- I have not personally used the fix described but this has been referenced several times by reputable sources.
Community Veteran

Toolbar in IE7

Hi Peterstone, thanks for this. A short while ago I got a virus warning from my Norton (yes, occasionally in spite of some popular opinion it does work!!) that the trojan noted here in your link was present in my PC it, as opposed to this info in the link described it as very low risk, a rapidly applied full scan found and dealt with the issue (according to the scan report) neither Smitfraudfix or Spybot or indeed Regcure noted anything amiss, also apart from the presence of the actual toobar, and the inability to remove it, it "seems" quite benign.

All this was about the same time the toolbar in question appeared in IE7, as it happens I hardly use IE7, preferring Firefox, using the IE7 for certain web payments to an on-line-banking that didn't support Firefox (The Woolwich the main site opened but, the login wasn't supported for Firefox) which has now been taken over by Barclays which does fully support Firefox, I have now no need of IE7 at all, can I uninstall IE7 or is it needed elsewhere within the system. I have Firefox set as my default browser, it opens with all websites automatically, ot at least strip it down to it's bear minimum to operate if required.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

Toolbar in IE7

Further I should point out perhaps that, in the early stages of "infection" I did indeed have an issue with home pages in IE7 being changed and not being able to either delete them or change the home page, since the scan and fix by Norton everything in IE7 has returned to normal except the presence of the toolbar. None of the ever seemed to effect Firefox even remotely.

One piece of advice given by Symantec which I followed was to remove or delete any existing Restore Points, the one I currently have is that immediately following the Norton Fix.

holdtight
Grafter

Toolbar in IE7

I have now no need of IE7 at all, can I uninstall IE7 or is it needed elsewhere within the system

You can uninstall IE7 by going to add remove programs in control panel and putting a tick in "show updates" it will then be in the list along with any updates its downloaded

Once uninstalled it reverts back to IE6 but it would seem norton has not done its job properly (again) and has left fragments of this nasty behind so just uninstalling IE7 will more than likely do the same and leave IE6 in the same state

In your shoes i would still run the removal tool from Peters link and be rid of it once and for all as you don't want any of this one on your system given its nasty behaviour when run
Community Veteran

Toolbar in IE7

Thanks everybody, the "spynomore" tool certainly seems to have dealt with the unwanted toolbar (and apparently more besides) should remind those looking at this, that it is £22 to purchase the licence, but if it is as effective as it appears then it is probably worth it. It does have a quite complex activation procedure, especially if paid using PayPal.