cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

To those with more knowledge of XP than I

N/A

Hi Everyone

The wifes notepad arrived yesterday,and having no knowledge whatsoever of Win XP
home edition I would appreciate some help or advice.I have a “Heavy user
account”,on which she has her own e-mail box designated “username+hername”.As
most of the time I have a fair bit of time left over,I thought she could use some it.But
when it comes to her e-mail box,although she can log on to the account ok via my
secondary CLI number OE6 does not seem to remember her passwords,and to access
her mailbox “username+hername” she has to type it in each time.The box next to
“remember password” has a tick in it,but they are both greyed out.Is this the nature of
the beast,and would sort itself out if she had an account of her own,or am I
overlooking something in Windows XP.Just as a matter of interest if I open OE and
click on “accounts/her mailbox/properties/servers” the password keeps disappearing
from the box under username,even though again “remember password” is ticked each
time and “apply” button pressed.Yet my copy of OE 6 under Win98SE remembers the
password,which makes me think that I am not doing something right with XP.

Also where in XP does one go to stop programmes etc starting mearly by leaving the
cursur parked on the for a few seconds,and instruct the machine not to open anything
with it bieng doubleclicked,she has a touchpad to move the cursor around,and finds it
very frustrating to have programmes opening everywhere simply because she could
not move the cursur fast enough,or stops to read something.

Thanks in advance

Ian & Linda Jordan
3 REPLIES
N/A

OE6, hate it, a hacker magnet. I use Eudora. You can run as many copies as you like, each with different passwords & users.
Anyway, for OE6, you may have to create a new user for WinXP for your wife for her password to be remembered in her user logon.
As for programmes opening with the touchpad, it is the touchpad setting and she may have her fingers hovering over the touchpad and the touchpad thinks it is being "double clicked" (close proximity of your fingers is enough to trigger the hall effect of the pad). This used to happen with my laptop until I turned the pad off and used a normal mouse.
N/A

OE6, hate it, a hacker magnet.

Not wishing to be controversial,but have never used anything other than OE since Windows 3.1 times,and have never come across any problems regarding hacking,and cannot get along with Eudora,Pegasus etc

for OE6, you may have to create a new user for WinXP for your wife for her password to be remembered in her user logon.

Mangaed to get that sorted,it required a dive into the registry,but now remembers all her passwords.

As for programmes opening with the touchpad, it is the touchpad setting and she may have her fingers hovering over the touchpad and the touchpad thinks it is being "double clicked" (close proximity of your fingers is enough to trigger the hall effect of the pad). This used to happen with my laptop until I turned the pad off and used a normal mouse

Only said to her last night that a "Trackball" maybe a better option for mobile usage,so may well persue that avenue.

Thanks for the reply

Ian & Linda Jordan
N/A

the best answer and its free is
http://www.ultrafunk.com/products/popcorn/

it will run off a floppy disk and lets you check mail on the server beore download and delete the virus and spam. Its not fancy but very quick to set up and you can carey it around on a floppy to use on other pcs.