cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

To leave on or turn off

N/A

To leave on or turn off

I have just installed my netgear DG834.

Impressed so far but I have been used to a usb modem that went to bed at night with my pc(no funny business)

Now I am not sure the best course of action, to leave on connected or turn off

James
10 REPLIES
Community Veteran

To leave on or turn off

I always turn everything off at night.
I use a multi socket board that all the gear is powered from so with one switch I can shut the lot down.

I dont like things using power haower small when there is no need.
Saves electricity and reduces the fire risk.
Good for the Planet too.
N/A

To leave on or turn off

Operating System: (WinXP Professional 5.1 Service Pack 1 (Build #2600)) ¤ Uptime: (1w 20h 58m 20s) ¤ Record Uptime: (2w 3d 9h 3m 52s set on Sun Jul 04 23:43:53 2004)

says it all Cheesy
N/A

To leave on or turn off

Once Iv'e found a good VC, I don't turn off unless the connection starts causing problems. Only then do I cycle it off for an hour or so to clear any stale connections.
Community Veteran

To leave on or turn off

I have several systems running 24/7 and they have done for over 3 years. They are all running the DC project in my sig so are always working and using the net.

In practice systems tend to last longer if they remain on as switching on and off frequently puts a strain on the components, especially the PSU and disk drives. In the 3 years of runing I have only needed to change 2 cooling fans due to bearings.

Running the systems 24/7 does use up addition electricity and my computer room is never cold.

Are there are particular concerns you are worried about? If you are worried about being hacked or using up too mmuch bandwidth then both are unlilely to happen as long as you have good security. Even if you switch off your PC, broadband is designed to be always on.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

To leave on or turn off

Nope, only turn my router off for Lightning Storms. But it does crash once every 3 weeks or so due to a limitation in the cheapo chipset and hardware.
Unvalued customer since 2001 funding cheap internet for others / DSL/Fibre house move 24 month regrade from 8th May 2017
N/A

To leave on or turn off

I only cycle the power on my (Origo) broadband router when the connection fails - that seems to be about once every two months.
N/A

To leave on or turn off

Not quite the same, because I don't have broadband, but I leave the PC on 24/7.

Some years ago, I was of John's way of thinking, and used to switch off everything in the interests of my pocket and the environment. A number of people made the point to me that, as Peter says, systems last longer when left on. I am not sufficiently qualified to accurately weigh up the pros and cons, but the fact that the monitor, which I do switch off, is the only thing that's packed up in the last three years, suggests to me that this view is probably the correct one.

What really settled it was when, in August 2001, I joined what was then the "UD" (United Devices) cancer research project - now known as "Grid.org", the same one that Peter runs. Ideally, this needs to be able to dial home with the results when I am asleep, out, eating a meal, whatever. It is the only programme on the PC that I allow to do so without asking permission, so I am happy enough from a security point of view, and happy to leave the PC on 24/7.
michaelscott
Grafter

To leave on or turn off

My router has been on for over 2 months without problems, I see no need to switch it off
glyndev
Grafter

To leave on or turn off

I never turn off my router and very rarely turn off my PC. Wife's and son's machines are a differet matter.

There is usually net activity most all the time with online gaming on the other machines.

With my machine, I have it set up for maintenance tasks, the main 2 being to check for anti-virus updates and then do a complete scan.

Why waste time sitting watching a virus scan instead of surfing when the PC is capable of doing it for me when I am either in bed or at work. (I work nights at weekends)
N/A

To leave on or turn off

I typically turn it off if I remember, for environmental reasons. In fact, we tend to turn everything off at the mains switch in our flat (including television) rather than leave things on standby.