cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Sony NAS-CZ1

N/A

The Sony NAS-CZ1

Hi,
I am thinking of buying a Sony NAS-CZ1 which is a stylish micro system with ethernet client function.This system looks good but unfortunately can't seem to compare it with any other make.Has anyone purchased this system or similar and is the quality of sound good.As I use my PC to store all my download music from itunes would not require to burn any cd's to play on a hi-fi.
If anyone has got a NAS-CZ1 I would be glad to know was experiences they have had with this system.
Thanks.
James K Jack

Moderators noteby John (johnessex) All capitals title made lower caseas per the Link:rules
7 REPLIES
Denzil
Grafter

The Sony NAS-CZ1

I don't know about that Sony unit, but bear in mind music downloaded from the web is almost always highly compressed, so it is not "hi-fi" quality to start with. So no system, however good, will be able to get that quality back.
N/A

copy protected disc

Hi Denzil,
Many thanks for your reply.I understand what you are saying in your reply.The problem that I have is that I bought this Teac radio and Cd combined ,nice design and compact and got rid of all my hi-fi.
I buy CD's rip them onto my PC and transfer what I want onto my MP3.The intention was to be able to play these Cd's through my Teac cd but it is not working because some of the Cd's are copy protected under the Red Book standard.
The PC will download alright and can play them without any trouble,but I would like to try and use a wireless connection so that I can play these Cd's in other parts of the house without going to the expense of buying another Hi-fi.

When the CD format was originally born, a standard called the “Red Book Standard” was established. This set the criteria that all recorded discs would conform to and that all playback equipment had to meet in order that these discs could be reproduced.

In their relentless quest to stamp out piracy, Record companies are using copy code encryption that Infringes the Red Book Standard and renders the disc not only uncopyable but in a lot of cases unplayable on certain equipment depending on what type of chip set and electronics the unit utilizes.

Sadly there is nothing TEAC can do about this situation and record companies are well aware of the effect that their Encryption has on CD discs in that the discs no longer conform to the Red Book Standard. There is no fault with your equipment and Teac are in the same boat as most other manufacturers- incidentally, there is a raft of information posted on this subject on the Internet.
That is the sad situation that the music industry has got itself into.
Regards.
Jim.

--
This email has been verified as Virus free
Virus Protection and more available at http://www.plus.net
Denzil
Grafter

The Sony NAS-CZ1

Hi, Jim,

It's a difficult one. It's fair enough that music companies want to prevent piracy, but if you have legitimately bought a CD it is a bit much not to ba able to play it. Trouble is, how can any piece of software tell the difference between making a copy for your own MP3 player and making a copy to send to everyone on the internet?

A friend of mine had a similar problem - bought CD, wanted a copy for his MP3 player, but autorunning software on the CD prevented copying it on a PC. Solution - used Linux instead. The Windows software didn't work, leaving access to the tracks as normal.

Denzil
N/A

ADVICE ON GOING WIRELESS

HiDenzil,
I am now considering going wireless and looking at Wireless media players.Can you give me some advice on the router and network adaptor that I should use,(USB OR PCI NETWORK CARD which would you recommend)at a later stage I will need a laptop.The wireless media player interests me so that all my music ect,can be played through my tv,have you had any experience on this one.
Last week viewed the new desktop speakers from bose they are really good and tempting at £199.This leads to my original problem.The permutation is getting very difficult in coordinating wireless connection.If you can help me again I would be very grateful.Regards.Jim
Denzil
Grafter

The Sony NAS-CZ1

Hi, Jim,

I don't have much experience of wireless networking, myself, but I can offer some general advice. I would definitley advise against using a USB network adaptor, as they tend to be slow. Get a Wifi router (Netgear seem to be highly thought of) then the router can talk to the media player.

You then need your PC to talk to the router, so you either need a wireless network card in your PC (use a PCI card, not USB), or a wire connection. Wireless routers have one RJ45 socket that let you connect using a standard network cable. Most modern PCs have network sockets on the motherboard, so the easiest solution is to run a cable from the PC to the router. Then you won't have to buy another card for the PC.

Can I assume from this you don't have a router so are connecting to the internet with a USB modem? A useful side effect of buying a router/modem is that connecting to the internet via a network port often gives higher speeds than USB modems.

Most laptops these days have built in Wifi, so once you have the router in place it should be easy to get the laptop to connect to everything else.

Does that help?
N/A

wireless

Hi Denzil,
I appreciate very much your time and response in helping me choose the right piece of hardware.
My connection with plus net at the moment is through the Binatone broadband adsl 500 modem.
I think the first thing to do is install a pci card,I would agree with you on this adaptor.Then install a new router to make my computer wireless.
The computer I have is a new ASUS S-PRESSO multimedia system and it has a RJ 45 socket.This port allows connection to a local area network(LAN)through a network hub.The fact of having this RJ45 socket will that eliminate the purchase of and PCI card
and make the connection more simplified?
Yes regarding the laptop it will come later and as you state most of them have Wifi installed in them.
Your advise has been a great help,now a days you would think you would get good advise from where you go to purchase hardware but sadly you don't,and just want to double check before making a purchase.
Thanks again,Jim
Denzil
Grafter

The Sony NAS-CZ1

Hi Jim,

You're very welcome. That's right, you don't have to buy a PCI Wifi card. Just get a standard network cable, plug one end into the PC network socket and the other into the router. The router will then talk via Wifi to the media player and the laptop.

Some retailers do give good advice, but sadly the big high street stores tend to give staff fairly minimal training, and, of course, they have a vested interest in selling you as much stuff as possible!