cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Terminal Services and Broadband

N/A

We have several remote sites that connect into our Head office Terminal Server(s) over broadband links (via Plus Net). It seems that we get disconnection problems though for no apparent reason. I understand that Broadband is a 'contended' service however, any ideas as to why we would be getting these disconnect problems as we have no connection problems when connecting to the Terminal Servers on our local area network ? Obviously having a 100MB hardwired connection helps...but I didn't think that I'd get disconnected so frequently over the broadband link with Broadband. Any help would be great !

There aren't any blocks of any kind to disallow or inhibit this kind of traffic are there ?

cheers

Craig
5 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Congestion/contension on the BT network, degradation of line quality, faulty ADSL routers, software problems, idle timeouts, weather confditions, BT faults, PlusNet faults, unreliable equipment (designed for the home network not business).

There can be many reasons why a connection drops and not all can be identified.

If this is a serious problem then further investigation will be needed to check local wireing/connections, making sure the ADSL equipment is configured correctly, that the ADSL filters are being used correctly, your line is tested etc.

You can start with the tutorials forum threads, especially the troubleshooting one, also the links available on the support web pages should be read.

Cheers

Peter Cool
N/A

thanks mate
Community Veteran

You might also consider reading through the forum threads, this question (disconnections) does crop up quite frequently with common answers.
N/A

Normaly TS is very good and works well even on dial up. You need to isolate the fault.

When it disconnects can you ping the TS by name and IP?

I would suspect the most likely cause is someone is using all the bandwidth. You would get a disconnect if someone suddenly downloads a big file with a download manger or suddenly there is a lot of traffic. It easy for someone at work to do a big download and take all the bandwidth.

I would monitor the bandwidth and see if this is related. How is it connected ie router or modem and do you have a hub or switch? if you have a hub this would let all the traffic through on all ports. If its TS thats being swamped then you could look at Network Load Balancing to help cure this or us something like NCD Thin Path
N/A

Slightly smaller scale perhaps but I connect to my home PC with Remote Desktop and leave it open all day from work (512k line at each end). It almost never disconnects and even when it gets slow it is bearable.

Our work network regularly has 70+ concurrent users on the net.

The hub vs switch question is certainly a valid one (mwright) and it's worth investing in a decent quality router if you're home connection is using a modem. I use a D-Link DSL504 and have had no grief with it.