cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Task Manager constant 100% cpu

N/A

I've got an Advent laptop which until the end of last week was fine. Switched on Friday morning and at first I thought it had crashed but then I realised it was just extremely slow e.g. 45 minutes to boot to XP gui and still loading start menu stuff.

I checked and found that task manager was showing a constant 100% cpu usage. After tearing my hair out for several days running virus checkers etc., I decided it was software (OS) related, took the easy way out and went to buy a new hard drive which I put in and did a full factory restore.

It's still the same :shock: - what's the most likely culprit does anyone think.

(80GB 2.5" hd anybody :lol: )
5 REPLIES
N/A

One reason this happens is because you have the MS Blast virus. Evil
But there are other reasons
N/A

Did you click on the processes tab to find out which app was using all the processing time?

Also did you boot into safe mode to see if this occurs?(pres F8 on startup before the windows logo appears)
If this doesnt occur in safe mode then there is obviously a nasty program messing it up

I usually find that it is best to run spyware & AV scans in safe mode to stop those pesky critters from loading up and blocking your scans

Also if you replaced the harddisk, and this still occurs have you been having a play in the BIOS?
N/A

I ran AVG which took over 24 hrs even though I'd promoted it's process to 'RealTime'.

The only process that showed anything more than 5 to 10 was TaskManager itself which peaked at around 80. Same in safe mode.

I now think that it's my motherboard - I need to find the 'hidden screw' or tab to get it apart and have a look for burnt caps etc.
N/A

I seriously doubt that this is going to be hardware. Does it seem to be getting hotter than usual?

Another way to check stuff out is to try a linux live cd - there are loads out there nad if your PC runs smoothly under that you can pretty safely say it's software. Safe mode is also a good bet for similar reasons.
N/A

I've been having a problem with overheating for some time which I resolved by putting the laptop on a couple of books with a desk fan blowing under it. I thought it was just a build up of dust obstructing the fan but now it seems likely I was wrong :roll: .

I ruled out the cpu simply because the problem is there from the moment I switch on. If it were the cpu overheating, then there would be some time delay while the heat built up. Suppose there's just a chance it might need re-seating.

Next job is to work out where the hidden fixing is, get it open and look for fried caps.

To be honest, I'm now looking at getting a good deal on a replacement.