cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TV through laptop

N/A

TV through laptop

I have just bought a Compaq laptop and digital TV box (connected via ordinary TV aerial) and all is working well EXCEPT that the program has a tendency to crash when moving channels, especially if moving faster than the set can cope with.
Is this due to insufficient power in the system? (the TV box gets its power through the laptop USB)
Anybody else got the same setup or problem, please?
5 REPLIES
N/A

TV through laptop

Does the unit have a power supply or just use USB?
Is the signal strength good? I had a problem with my box crashing due to a bad signal.....
N/A

TV through laptop

Does the unit have a power supply or just use USB?
Is the signal strength good? I had a problem with my box crashing due to a bad signal.....

:roll:
Thanks for the comments.

1. It doesn't have its own power supply - only the USB port - which is why I wondered if an average laptop doesn't have enough power to share with the digibox when it is in full flood.
2. The signal in our area is not good (officially) though several people around get a good TV reception from their ordinary aerials. That could be a reason for the problem, but not one that I can do anything about.
N/A

TV through laptop

if i were you i would only use it when the laptop is plugged in to the mains and see if it makes a difference. If not, try mains and an RF lead if it has the connection for one.
Denzil
Grafter

TV through laptop

It is also worth trying to run it from a powered USB hub. These have their own power supply so it will then be independant of the PC. They are quite cheap.
N/A

TV through laptop

Thanks for the replies.
I now have the USB connected through a powered hub and make sure that all prgrammes are closed, (including broadband and Norton etc).
This seems to do the trick. It seems that the power only just manages to do the job. :lol:
Roy