cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TV and DAB cards

N/A

TV and DAB cards

Interesting reading - I'd quite like a card to compliment my DVB TV card.

Main problem I have is that I'm running a 64 bit AMD chip and as soon as x64 is finished (in the next month), I'll be moving to that. The only problem I have is that there aren't any 64 bit drivers out there that I can find for the main TV card manufacturers.

I think what I'll do is wait a few months after x64 is out and see what hardware's on the market then. If you do get a DAB card for the PC then please tell us how u found it!
14 REPLIES
RobDickson
Grafter

TV and DAB cards

I already have an AverMedia DVB-T Digital TV card in my PC. It all works fine, except the ITV and C4 digital signals aren't always very good quality and it doesn't receive DAB radio. I would therefore like to get my PC to receive analogue TV and DAB radio as well.

I wonder whether anybody could help:
1) Has anybody sucessfully tried installing an analogue and digital TV card into the same PC?
2) Does anybody know of a DAB radio PCI/USB card?
3) Does anybody know of a combined card that will do digital TV and analogue TV
4) Does anybody know of a combined card that will do all three?

AverMedia claims that its analogue TV cards aren't comptable with its digital TV cards, but that answer could just be "playing it safe".
Community Veteran

TV and DAB cards

I wonder if this one is what your after?
Available from Maplins.
RobDickson
Grafter

TV and DAB cards

Thanks for the reply. That's the one that I have at the moment (it does digital TV and not DAB or analogue TV). If anybody else can help, I'd appreciate it.
Community Veteran

TV and DAB cards

Oh! I thought when I read the spec it says it does digital radioHuh

• Watch digital terrestrial TV and listen to digital radio on your PC!

I thought perhaps wrongly that DAB was an acronym for Digital Audio Broadcasting?Huh
holdtight
Grafter

TV and DAB cards

I thought so too John !
here`s a couple of questions from the F&Q hope they help you rob

Q: You said that it can recieve DAB radio (from a previous question by Derick M). Did you mean the digital radion a Sky dish can recieve or true DAB?
A: The unit only receives digital radio as on freeview channels not DAB (digital audio broadcast) Radio

Q: Could you put this card in a PC with an analogue TV tuner card already installed
A: Yes, this should cause no conflicts.
RobDickson
Grafter

TV and DAB cards

DAB and Freeview Radio are both digital transmission of radio stations, but are two different technologies. The Digital TV card that you mentioned can pick up the Freeview radio stations, but not the DAB radio stations. Most radio stations broadcast using DAB, but not many broadcast using Freeview.

Thanks for the link to the FAQs page. I'm sure the question about installing at the same time as an analogue TV card wasn't there when I bought it, but I must have missed it.

Thanks for your help. Now all I need to find is a PCI card that will pick up DAB radio.
Community Veteran

TV and DAB cards

The Digital TV card that you mentioned can pick up the Freeview radio stations, but not the DAB radio stations. Most radio stations broadcast using DAB, but not many broadcast using Freeview.

Ok thanks for clarifying what the difference is.
I afraid then that I dont know of a card (yet) that will do what you require.
Good luck with your search.
RobDickson
Grafter

TV and DAB cards

I've done a bit more searching and come up with two useful sites:

http://www.radio-now.co.uk/dab_pci_card_uk.htm
http://www.radioandtelly.co.uk/onyourpc.html

Wavefinder doesn't get a very good review on Amazon, but the Modular Technology one sounds interesting. I just need to find somewhere to buy it apart from PC World.
N/A

TV and DAB cards

I had a modular technology card and had no problems with it.

Except that I ended up plugging it into the TV aerial on top of the house to get a strong enough signal (I don't think that it was the fault of the card, just the position of my study in the house). If you know somebody with a DAB radio I would suggest you borrow it and check your reception.

I also had my DAB card and digital TV (hauppauge Nova-T) card working perfectly fine together.
RobDickson
Grafter

TV and DAB cards

It seems that there are no DAB radio cards produced anymore, but there are two types that are available second hand:

Wavefinder USB: Works with WinXP-SP1, but doesn't work with WinXP-SP2.

Modular Technology PCI card: I get the impression that this works with WinXP-SP2, but am not sure.
N/A

TV and DAB cards

Theres not much point in getting a DAB card. When you can get a freewire (DVB) card, or usb box. Such as this...

http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?action=c2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=4...

Which will also work with your TV via scart. Freeview is well worth it. We have a box on every tv. Most of them pluged into sterios for using digital radio. It displays the song playing as well on some channels. like 6 music.
RobDickson
Grafter

TV and DAB cards

Thanks for the link. What you have linked to will get Freeview (as my existing AverMedia card does), but it will not get DAB stations. By getting a DAB card as well, I can get listen to DAB radio broadcasts as well as Freeview radio broadcasts.
N/A

TV and DAB cards

Is there a difrence in the radio stations avalable on DVB ans DAB?

I cant get local stations through freeview. But im not to botherd about them.
RobDickson
Grafter

TV and DAB cards

Yes, otherwise there wouldn't be any point in having DAB and Freeview.