cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

System upgrade - Help please.

mossgrove
Grafter

I am looking to upgrade from an Athlon XP2400+ on a fairly limited budget. I have come down to a choice between an Athlon 64 3500+ and a Pentium D 805 dual core. (with appropriate motherboard)

I use the system mostly for Photoshop and video / audio editing/conversion, with very little gaming.

I would be most grateful for any advice or recommendations.
6 REPLIES
N/A

To be honest I'd look at whether just concentrating on upgrading your current memory would be a better investment than a new PC.

I don't see too much difference on Photoshop between a Pentium 2.4GHz PC and a 3.0GHz Pentium 4 both with 1GB of memory... where as the 3.0GHz used to only have 512MB and was slower...
Community Veteran

Agreed
If your main usage is processing images then Memory is far more important than the CPU speed.
Memory is at a very low price at the moment and it would cost you little to put some more in the machine and see if it makes a vast difference.
N/A

Just another thought... it may also be worthing looking at getting a second hdd and making sure that your photoshop scratch space is on a different drive to your windows swap file...
mossgrove
Grafter

Thanks very much for the advice - I'll try that and see what happens.
N/A

In this months Custom PC Magazine (get mine at Asda) there is a good guide on building a super duper Intel dual core system for less than £500. Looks like a sweet system and the benchmarks in video editing etc are very fast. The price over performance is much better than anything AMD can offer, obviously its for desktop use and not gaming so its a damn good system.

Might be worth a look. I'd post the details but I cant find my mag lol. They tell you where to buy the stuff from etc and everything you need to know to get it sorted.

Hope this helps.
N/A

Re: System upgrade - Help please.

I am looking to upgrade from an Athlon XP2400+ on a fairly limited budget. I have come down to a choice between an Athlon 64 3500+ and a Pentium D 805 dual core. (with appropriate motherboard)

I use the system mostly for Photoshop and video / audio editing/conversion, with very little gaming.

I would be most grateful for any advice or recommendations.

Sounds like you have already made you mind up and decided on the Pentium to me from that.

If that is what you use your PC for the Pentium D is clearly the chip to go for : )