cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

System Tray Balloons

Community Veteran

System Tray Balloons

With regard to what this post is orginally about i believe there is something about the balloons in the Group Policy Editor, i may be talking s**t but I am sure i saw it! Anyone know?
29 REPLIES
shermans
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

System Tray Balloons

I am new to Windows XP. I have just bought a new PC to replace my old 350 Hz running Windows 98. Frankly, what a waste of money. I have yet to find anything which runs any faster or works any better. I know of nothing which Windows 98 could not do equally as well as XP. And it is so frustrating that many good features of 98 are either absent or have been hidden away in XP. It seems to me that it was change for the sake of change and confirms my belief in the old adage "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" !

One really iritating thing about XP is that whenever I go online, a wretched pop-up pops up on the system tray to tell me that I am connected, and stays there until I click it. The same thing happens with my LAN. I have searched everywhere to find a way of turning these unnecessary notifications off.

Does anyone know how to do it ?
holdtight
Grafter

System Tray Balloons

Hi shermans
Apart from the stability issues xp being more stable i do tend to
agree with you

although i do run xp on one of my systems as well as linux i still run
2000 pro on my laptop and have no intention of changing it as its a
brilliant bit of kit and better than xp but it is based on the nt code as is
xp so probably no comparison to 98

To get rid of the annoying pop ups you can either edit the registry and if you
want to do that get back to me
or a better option would be to download Tweakui for xp and you will find
various settings you can change that will benefit you inc turning off pop ups
Community Veteran

System Tray Balloons

98 was broke and needed fixing badly:

- Did not handle memory management very well requiring frequent reboots
- Device driver incompatibilities
- USB support was bad
- Very unstable in operation

To name 4 key ones.

I am also surprised your new system is not performing much faster than the previous one, which suggests there may be something wrong with the config, or the programs you use are not well written. Have you checked the BIOS is detecting the processor correctly and it's running at the speed you expect?

I find XP far superior in many ways to 98.

As for your Qs. You can turn off the notfications and systray icons via the properties of each of your devices.

start -> control panel -> network connections

right click on your network icon(s) and select properties.

Untick 'show icon in notification area'

For a dialup connection you may need to search for the setting depending on the modem driver.

If you have a network connection (Ethernet) on the mobo or PCI card that you are not using and you get a small PC with a red x on it, you can disable the device in the device manager page:

start -> control panel -> system -> hardware tab -> device manager

Find the network device, right click and select disable.
shermans
Rising Star

System Tray Balloons

Hi Holdtight

Thanks for your advice. I will try tweakui and see what other goodies it has as well.

As for stability issues with 98, I never even had 98 SE ! And I will admit that six years ago when I first installed it, I did have stability troubles, but it gradually settled down, and I stuck with the same basic build all those years. I regularly backed up the System.dat and the User.dat and if ever I had a problem, I simply copied them back onto the hard disk in DOS and everything would be back to normal. However, it was rarely necessary. I see that XP seems to have a similar feature which they call restore points and which I imagine does the same thing.

I used W 98 all the time on line, on researching on the internet, with ISDN, with VOIP, with all the Office products, firewalls and much more besides. In fact it was / is just a laptop with a large docking station for printers, faxes, scanners etc. I propose to go on using the laptop until it dies (it is networked to the new one) but I won't change anything on it. So very interested to hear that you agree in principle.

How do you rate Linux against Windows ? I realise the limitation is software compatibility but everyone seems to swear by it.
holdtight
Grafter

System Tray Balloons

@ Peter i think the issue is with the annoying pop ups and not with the icons themselves unless i misunderstood your reply
i do also agree that if its a new system it should be running much faster and be more stable than 98

shermans i also found 98 to be fine and i used it for a long time without too many problems Peter is right that it did have some issues / flaws especially memory management but from personal experience i found that windows ME was the broken one and i very quickly got rid of it and would not recommend it to anyone

yes your right xp`s restore points are a way of putting your system back to a time before a problem may have occured and is a very useful feature, i would also recommend disk cloning and i use acronis trueimage for this although there are several others also, it takes an image of your complete windows partition and backs it up then you can restore it at any time should you have an operating system failure

The linux debate has been rolling along for some time now and again from personal experience theres nothing i cant do on windows that i cant also do on linux, there are software emulators that let you run windows software on linux one such is wine but it can be a bit hit and miss
i get along with whats supplied with the linux os which is a great deal inc full office apps (open office)

There are many linux distro`s about some are easy to use others not so and if your new to it it can be a very steep learning curve but saying that if you have a spare system i would recommend trying it, start with something like suse or mandrake as they are very similar in appearance and use to windows
zpeterk
Grafter

System Tray Balloons

On the subject of pop-up balloons the one that is annoying my daughter is the one that says "your computer may be at risk" which is not the case as she has sygate firewall on there. Can this one be stopp?ed
Alecto
Grafter

System Tray Balloons

Start control panel security centre change the way my computer notifies me

has the box to untick, but even if you've got the windows firewall turned off, it should recognise that you've got a different one and not give you that message unless the firewall is disabled.
I'd suspect that your sygate firewall is not set up right.
I only get that message if I change the settings to "allow all" on the firewall.
zpeterk
Grafter

System Tray Balloons

Thanks I found it there, there is a tick box saying "I will monitor the firewall myself"
shermans
Rising Star

System Tray Balloons

Peter

I do not think there is anything the matter with my new XP setup - it is too new for that and has a fraction of the programmes loaded yet that I use. I am still transitioning. However, I do not use the system for things like games, where perhaps I would notice a difference. The point I was trying to make is that for things like Office and Outlook and the run of the mill stuff, things cannot practically run any faster. Files still have to be loaded from the hard disk when you open a file and that is no quicker than before, and really has nothing to do with XP or 98. For basic day to day requirements, things were always running as fast under 98 as I could usefully take advantage of, and they run the same with XP. The biggest difference is that the LAN with XP is much slower finding the other systems than it used to be, presumably because of all the security settings. I did not have to use MS Client for Windows in 98 as primary log-on but now I do (with the 98 system connecting to XP). It was all so much more convenient before. XP boots up much more quickly than 98, I will admit.

As for stability, I ran 98 for six years, working 12 hours per day, including most weekends. I can count on the fingers of one hand the number of times I had a stability problem once it had beeded down properly. But I did the housework - cleared out cookies, temporary internet files, temp files, blocked cookies, defragged regularly, regular virus checks, checked for spyware and of course installed a firewall. I partitioned the disk so that Windows and programmes ran on a separate partition from data files which resulted in less fragmentation and I also had a separate partition for swap files. It was a matter of discipline (but then I started with MSDOS, so have that mindset enforced). But if you kept the system clean and tidy, 98 was perfectly stable.

I respect your views because you are technically much better qualified than I, but I still resent having wasted the money changing. I haven't tried boradband yet, admittedly, but only because I am quite satisfied with ISDN, especially using Onspeed ! which genuinely makes the internet dramatically better. But I have used other people's broadband and discovered of course that speed is only as good as the accessibility of third party servers, and in practice I have found no real benefit from trying broadband - desppite the fact that I was the BT sponsor for broadband in our area and worked very hard to get it ! (Hypocrite).

I have tried your other suggestions to get rid of those irritating balloons and they seem to have done so ! But I still have the problem of having to set Client for Networks on my old 98 system as the primary log on whereas I did not have to do so before. That means I get the log on password request everytime I boot up, instead of being able to switch on in the morning and go and get my breakfast. Now when I get back, it is asking me for my password ! Ugggh! If I do not have MS client as the primary log on, then the LAN does not work with XP. I do not have to log on with XP of course, that just goes straight in.

Nick
holdtight
Grafter

System Tray Balloons

Just out of interest Nick how much memory has your new system got ?

xp is much more memory hungry than 98 ever was and needs a fair bit just to run background apps

I would always recommend 256mb as an absolute bare minimum and it will still run slower than it should with 512mb and 1gig being ideal if your not doing stuff like video editing then 2 gig upwards is a must

cant help you with your log on problem as i havnt as yet put 98 and xp on the same network but someone here will help

Bill.
shermans
Rising Star

System Tray Balloons

Bill

My new system has 256 mb - my old 98 has 192 mb.

Nearly twenty five years ago, I wrote and ran a weekly payroll system in Basic for 20 variable pay (piecework) staff on a Radio Shack TRS 80 pocket computer, with a portable tally roll printer and cassette recorder interface using 1424 bits of memory !!! (I still have it and the manual !) Things have changed a little since then, and my fingers are not as nimble. That was slow, as each piece of data had to be saved onto the cassette and then uploaded again as it was needed for processing. It took about half an hour to run the payroll and I used to do it on the train going up to London. I bet no-one could do it today.

You are right, 256 Mb is on the low side and probably ought to increase it to 512. But as I say, I'm not into video and games and the like, even though my laptop came with a DVD player six years ago, which was quite advanced for thsoe days. I only used it for the first time about six weeks ago to look at a DVD someone had given me. I am a philistine when it comes to entertainment.
N/A

System Tray Balloons

256 is NO where near enough to run windows XP, even with all the flash stuff disabled (under my computer properties) upgrade to at least 512, and even then its slugish.. 1gig is recomended, and 4 gig (teehee) makes it a breeze Wink

if you dont want to upgrade, go use Gentoo linux and compile everything for your own pc so its nice and fast
Community Veteran

System Tray Balloons

You and your gentoo ;-)

I'm typing this on an XP laptop with 256mb ram the machine is painfully slow. I'd install linux but It would be more work than it's worth on this machine :-(
holdtight
Grafter

System Tray Balloons

Nick a DVD rom in a laptop six years ago was more than just advanced and im sure at the time there were many people who could only dream about it

Although 192mb for 98 was more than enough for most 256 for xp is as i said an absolute minimum and i would also recommend upgrading to 512mb, i run my xp system with 1gig and its as sweet as a nut

ive just been given two ex school systems to do with what i like, when i was given them i just assumed like you do that the disks had probably been formatted and that there would probably be some bits missing but on testing them i find that both are 600mhz celerons both are running XP pro and office 2003 pro and both only have 64mb of sdram

now they are slow but not as slow as you might think, with all the fancy stuff disabled start up to desktop in 23 seconds, opening any app around 5-6 seconds and having messed around with both of them for a while theres been no out of memory warnings but they do get slower and slower

Has anybody else got XP to run with such little memory or even got it to run with less albeit slowly ?