cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

System CPU Usage @ 100%

N/A

System CPU Usage @ 100%

I keep getting this problem on the pc where the system takes up all the cpu usage instead of the system idle.
Which results in a lose of broadband connection when i'm gaming online. And I have to manually reboot a couple of time,s to correct this.

I reformatted on Sunday & thought it was resolved , until last night when it started again.

It only happens when i am on line for some reason.

I am using XP !

Any ideas ?

[Moderator's note (by Chris P.): Title changed from all capitals as this is akin to shouting and harder to read]
17 REPLIES
the_norris
Grafter

System CPU Usage @ 100%

Hi

It may help people help you if you could post more details about you computer setup. Eg Modem type ( Guess this is USB?) CPU , RAM etc,

What software installed, Firewall? Virus checker etc? What Game been played.

As a guess - you have USB modem. And this problem only happens when on-line gaming. Normal web surfing/email is ok?
Some games like to use a lot of connections (GameSpy etc), if you have a USB modem (your CPU is used to process date for the USB modem) it may be geeting over loaded. You CPU will be process USB modem stuff and the game.

Phil
Community Veteran

System CPU Usage @ 100%

How do you know it's using 100% CPU. Do you use a task manager to see this. If so, what process is using the most CPU in this situation and is that related to the game you are playing or something else?
N/A

System CPU Usage @ 100%

Peter i do use task manager to find this out but other than seeing the systems is using 100% instead if system idle, I do not know how to find out exactly which programme is using it . How do I do this ?
Community Veteran

System CPU Usage @ 100%

Click on the processes tab in task manager and it shows each process and how much CPU it is using.

Or download TaskInfo 2003 which is much better and can show process descriptions which are much more meaningful.

Then post the name(s) of the process(es) that are using the most CPU.
N/A

System CPU Usage @ 100%

have you got zonealarm firewall?
somtimes its vsmon.exe
N/A

System CPU Usage @ 100%

ok the problem occurred again last night and I used taskinfo to see if I could pin point where the problem is , but all I can say is this.

It is a thread 000120 that is taking the cpu up.

I tried shutting down application one at a time but it did not change .
Is there a way to get even more detail than this ?
Community Veteran

System CPU Usage @ 100%

It is the name of the application or background task that we need, not the thread within it. So can you remember what it was?
N/A

System CPU Usage @ 100%

It did not show a name only threads within the system.
Community Veteran

System CPU Usage @ 100%

Both the Windows task manager (processes tab - image name column) and taskinfo 2003 both show the background app name. Also taskinfo 2003 can show the app description and full path to the app so I'm not sure where you are looking that only shows the thread.
N/A

System CPU Usage @ 100%

Works 2000 when installed on my PC whipped up the CPU usage to 100%. It was the calendar part of works causing the problem. Oddly enough it only happened on restricted user accounts, never on administrator.
Brickinit
Grafter

System CPU Usage @ 100%

have you installed sr1? as this will sometimes kick in if my memory serves me right something like scvspool.exe. this was a problem especially if you have an epson printer
N/A

System CPU Usage @ 100%

ok It just happened agian & it's called
GENERIC HOST PROCESS FOR WIN32 SERVICES
svchost.exe

I'm starting to wonder if I have a virus that could be causing this, I use AVG7 and it has not detected anything on a scan.
Brickinit
Grafter

System CPU Usage @ 100%

GENERIC HOST PROCESS FOR WIN32 SERVICES
svchost.exe

these are not viruses thats why your anti virus is not picking them up i think you will find they are part of XP

incidently in my last post i asked if you had installed sr1, should have been sr2 beta as it was this that was causing alot of problems
N/A

System CPU Usage @ 100%

If you mean SP2 FOR WINDOWS xp? then no i run sp1 with security patch.

Well I understand that a virus can replicate it's self to look like scvhost.exe ,
I have used my firewall to control the file commands , last night this file was attempting to connect on line & I also had external connection attempt's which I both blocked , The problem did not occur,

Now the thing is this , Is it a virus ?, if it's not , then what is it trying to do that drains my cpu usage & stop's my connection ?