cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Switching to broadband next week - how to set up router?

N/A

Hi

My exchange goes live next week and I'd appreciate a wee bit of advice on how to set up my system. At the moment, I have my 2 PCs linked together on a home network, using the hub in my new 3com wireless ASDL modem / router to connect them (obviously not using the ADSL part of it yet). I have Internet Connection Sharing switched on on both PCs, so I can surf the web from either.
Although I'm getting the free USB modem with my startup package, I'd rather not use it, as that would mean I'd need to have my main PC turned on to surf on the second one. Is it relatively simple for me to get things set up this way? I assume I'll need to turn on the ADSL bit of the router, turn off ICS and tell both PCs to connect using LAN instead of dial up. Also, is setting up the static IP address easy? Any guides I've seen on the help in here suggest leaving the IP address bit left to 'automatically assigned', but I think that might need to be different when using a router.
I'm using ZoneAlarm pro, which hopefully won't cause me any problems.

Apologies if I've kind of answered my own questions here, but I'm keen to try and anticipate as many snags as possible up front, so that I can get up and running asap.

Thanks guys.
4 REPLIES
MarkAngel
Grafter

Hi Douglas,
I've not used a 3com DSL Modem before but if it is above basic standard (which I presume it is) you wont have anything to worry about. (FYI, think you will find its a switch not a hub (Switches are hubs with memory)).
Dont bother with the USB one, any kind of router (esp a wireless one) will be miles better than anything you get free (or part of the package).
There will be a section in your router that you will be able to assign static IP addresses for all your internal PC's but unless you want to do something fancy I wouldnt bother too much with this at this stage (you will probably find that the first PC that you use is 192.168.0.2 and the second 192.168.0.3 and both PC's will gernerally remember these).
Once everything is installed just make sure that the IE settings are set to "Never Dial a Connection" and you should be ready to rock!

Think that just about covers it....basically nothing to worry about.

Good Luck.

Mark
N/A

www.buzzons.co.uk/tutorials/network/network.htm

for a full guide on networking your PCs etc
phatty
Grafter

Fantastic Guide mate, must have taken you a while.

Helped me sort a little problem I was having Smiley

Moderators note by John (johnessex) Quote removed. Please dont use all of a post immediately before yor reply as a quote.
N/A

Hey Buzz, are you going to correct all the spelling mistakes in your tutorial? Wink