cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Suspect Direct3D Problem

laurian
Dabbler

Suspect Direct3D Problem

Over the last couple of months some of my son's PC Lego games have stopped running. They load, open a Lego splash screen then it all minimises to the task bar with no error. In Task Manager the program is running.

I ran Direct Diagnostocs (dxdiag). All the tests passed except DIRECT3D (which is set to be enabled). When I clicked the button to run the test the screen blacks out for a few seconds then comes back with a dialogue box saying the test was abandoned because the user pressed a key....which I hadn't done (and no keys were sticking to create this).

Everything else works fine, it's just these Lego games. I'm running XP SP2 and it's fully patched. It's an AMD 1.67GHz with 1Gb RAM and an ATI Sapphire video card.

Any thoughts out there would be much appreciated.

Ian Fidler
3 REPLIES
N/A

Suspect Direct3D Problem

If you can try another AGP card in it, and download and install Directx 9,0c....Also you might want to try catalyst 4.6 drivers..
laurian
Dabbler

Suspect Direct3D Problem

Thanks for the advice. I will ensure I have the latest Sapphire catalyst drivers. Also, I'm currently running Direct 9.0c

And having done some more internet searching I find that this is not an uncommon problem. There seem to be numerous possible fixes from killing various processes to switching off virus and firewall.

I'm guessing the problem is an incompatability with Direct 9.0c which must have come in as an auto windows update.

I'll try nd get the latest drivers.

Thanks
N/A

Suspect Direct3D Problem

Hi

What happens if you disable Direct3d ?

Also might be worth looking here

http://www.lego.com/eng/interactive/faqhints.asp?Title=Creator&Code=PC&ACTION=FAQ