cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Suse Linux + Wireless Card

N/A

This is a repost of an much earlier post. However, having some spare time on my hands again, I'm still in the same position with the problem as described, so I figured I'd give this another try!
Hi all, I'm trying to configure SUSE Linux 9.1 Pro (on a Toshiba Satellite M30 as a dual boot system with XP). This machine also has a built in Intel PRO/Wireless 2200BG, which works happily under XP and talks to my ADSL kit. I've replaced my router/access point recently - all Windows 2000 and XP boxes still talk to the outside world quite happily.

I'm very (very!) outdated with my Unix knowledge and this is (still) the first time I've installed Linux for ages.

I'm totally confused about getting the wireless bit going, so any clues will be great. The wireless card is simply not being recognised by Suse; I've done some research and found this site: http://ipw2200.sourceforge.net/ but I'm really not sure what to do with the info. I can download stuff to my W2k system and move it to the XP partition on the Linux box, but after that, I'm really stuffed.

Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cheers

JR
4 REPLIES
N/A

Wireless networking on Linux isn't quite there yet. I spent more time than I care to mention trying to get an RT2400 card connecting to my network. Now I've been using Unix for twelve years and Linux for eleven, but I failed to get it working.

I'm sure things have moved on, and maybe downloading and compiling the software on the website you mentioned will work. But then again it may not, or it may work but with restrictions you're not happy with. (Apparently the driver for mine now works reasonably but only supports WEP and not WPA encryption.)

I know that doesn't answer your question...

--> Stephen
N/A

Stephen; thanks for the info ... I'm stunned to be watching the purpose of this Linux 'fun'n'games' actually installing, namely an Oracle10g database. I've fought with this all weekend (on and off), with little positive help from SuSE support.

However, I disabled my Ethernet card, added DNS server names to the Linux config and that seems to have resolved my initial issue. At least I can now browse to Oracle (and other) sites and download what I need. I'm wandering around the wunnerful world of RPM's (wondering if these files are all recursively linked somehow!) but I got an Xterm session going, reconfigured the kernel as Oracle wanted and now, I think I deserve a long overdue lunch break Smiley

SuSE support were less than helpful, but there were a number of sensible and helpful suggestions from alt.os.linux.suse - I must go back and report my success there also.

Cheers
Jeremy
N/A

have you tried a knoppix live CD? they do a good job of detecting all sorts of hardware and it might give you some clues as to what you need.
N/A

Thanks again - I've achieved my objective now, a working Linux system with Oracle10g installed. Now, I'm about to see what happens when I reboot Smiley