cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Suggest a wireless modem replacement

N/A

When I first started on PN I bought a WAG54G and WPC54G for a laptop but now want to change. I (like most others) am seeing the wireless connection drop all the time and have read that the WAP54G is flawed even with the newest 1.02.7 firmware.

Not wanting to keep changing hardware, what could you suggest for a replacement modem and laptop card that you know with first hand experiance, works :p

I have one ethernet wired PC for gaming running WinXP Pro SP2, a wireless laptop duelbooting SUSE & WinXP Pro SP2 and lastly another wireless laptop running WinXP Pro SP1. I liked the improved wireless G speeds offered by the WAG54G. Would also require port farwarding as I sometimes have bittorrents and FTP running.

Suggestions please Smiley
15 REPLIES
N/A

What about a Wireless Router, i.e DG834G :-)

Aaron
N/A

Thanks, I looked at that model when I first started but for some reason went for the linksys. Have you had any bad experiance using the DG834G? and can the wireless range be extended (unlike the wag54g)? what other encryption on the device? I cant find it on product pages but guess just basic 128 wep?

---------------------------------------------
other hardware suggestions!! please keep them coming.
Community Veteran

The DG834G has a much better wireless range as standard than the WAG54G - see ADSLguide Review.
N/A

looks like the only contender but will wait the week for other people to suggest an alternative.

p.s.
Anyone want to buy a so called wireless linksys paper weight?
N/A

Have you had a look at the D-Link DI614+ which is the one I use....... easy to set up,good wireless range and capable of 256 bit WEP encryption.

Just a thought

Ian & Linda Jordan
N/A

I have a DG834G. It works really nicely. Piece of cake to setup. Updating the firmware to the latest version on any router is a must for me.

One of my desktops had a problem seeing it using a PCI card but this was due to interference (going through a wall, ceiling, printer, monitor, desk etc.). I was very impressed with the Netgear external USB wirless network adapter which sits on the desk and have never had any problems since.

Sometimes changing the channel that the cards transmit on can improve the range. I can walk about 10metres down the street with a laptop and PCMCIA card and still have an Internet connection. That's going through plenty or brickwork!

Hope this helps,

Will.
N/A

I can walk about 10metres down the street

God knows why most of you want a wireless range down the street! This is one of the reasons I bought the linksys. I liked the short range being still capable of using the lappy in the garden with no problem. I live on the edge of fields (next building is the pub just over 1 mile away) so your 10metres for me would be 50metres!!! not good imo. Still cant find encryption options on the DG834G.

Have you had a look at the D-Link DI614+ capable of 256 bit WEP encryption.

I like the idea of using a non standard encryption, thanks Ian / Linda i'll also check out the 614.
N/A

Re: Still cant find encryption options on the DG834G.
---------
See: http://kbserver.netgear.com/release_notes/D102381.asp - section entitled "New Features Overview, Version 1.04.01" - indicates WPA encryption in addition to WEP.
holdtight
Grafter

Offline whats wrong with the WAG54G and WPC54G that you have
already ??

i use both these bits of hardware and cant fault them for reliability
range and security features

i cant say that there flawed in any way, might it be something else
thats making your line drop ?
N/A

The only problem is that the wireless connection drops even with a full signal. To test ive had both parts within the same room and the laptop still drops. The wired ethernet has no such problem. After the first month ive also read this isnt a one off with many people saying the WAG54G drops its wireless connection. Obviously ive upgraded all firmware and software but this doesnt help so looking for an alternative. I like all other aspect of this setup but starting to annoy.

If your not having this problem I think you cuold be lucky.

For me, this weekend im off shopping and going to try and return the linksys under the guise of faulty goods
N/A

God knows why most of you want a wireless range down the street!

I don't want it down the street but I can park up and connect to the Internet on an IPAQ and be on the Internet at the bottom of the garden on a notebook. I only walked down the street to test it. :roll:

Still cant find encryption options on the DG834G.

Have you looked in the wireless settings? You can turn on 64bit and 128bit WEP. You can also restrict access by MAC address elsewhere and turn off SSID broadcast.

Should be secure enough for the home. Some people are too paranoid in todays world. Better to be safe than sorry mind you. Wink
holdtight
Grafter

Does the line drop from the laptop side with the pc card only or
from the router side on your main system ?

if its from the laptop pc card only you may well have a faulty card Cry
which sounds likely from your description

is there any way you can test this with a different wireless card?

just trying to save you a sack of money on buying replacements
when the linksys is a good bit of hardware and in my opinion is on
a par with the hardware your thinking of replacing it with
N/A

net gear

hi i have a net gear router very easy to set up great fire wall but sometimes it needs to be disconected and rebooted but very easy to set up netgear recomended
N/A

Did you change your wag54 yet. I have had sinilar problems but turning off the wireless zero config and using my cards own configuration suite solved the problem.

However then the wag 54g packed up last week, so i took it back and changed it for a WRT54g. never lost a connection yet and very stable. I flashed it with the hyper wrt firmware and you can increase the power of the WRT54g above the linksys levels.

The WRT54g needs an external adsl modem and i am using my old Xmodem CE.