cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sub Domain's

N/A

Sub Domain's

looking for some help plz...... on sub domains...

i have signed up for a domane name with plus net.. and it works fine to my cgi web space....

but i also have a friend who also has a plus net account. with cgi web space... that he would like to join to my domane name...

so can i make it so my .co.uk will also point to his...... & mine...
so its something like this...??

www.xxx.co.uk/ (my cgi web )
and
www.xxx.co.uk/mym8s/ (my m8s cgi web)

can this be done...Huh? am i making any sence....Huh?

many thanks...
7 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Sub Domain's

I'm pretty sure it's not possible to link someone elses plusnet domain (www.username.plus.com) to a directory on your webspace because it is fixed within PlusNets systems and databases.

It is only possible to do this with an external or transfered in domain that you own (i.e one you have registered) and then only to a directory on your www webspace - i.e. you can't point a domain to a directory on your cgi webspace yet but this is in development.

For more details see Domains: Setting Up Domain records.
Community Veteran

Sub Domain's

No you can't do what you want.

You might be able to point cgi.domain to your space and cgi2.domain to his cgi space but I don't know if this will work. It depends how the system interperetes it and it may end up pointing both at your own space regardless, try it and let us know!

Chris
N/A

Sub Domain's

You can actualy do this, beleive it or not, one part of the old cgi.support.plus.com does this very thing (one guess which part).

However, PlusNet would need to clarify if under there terms and conditions, this is allowed.
Community Veteran

Sub Domain's

I'd think it should be allowed, so long as you aren't reselling the service to your mate. Its a bit like giving someone a mailbox under your account.

Chris
N/A

Sub Domain's

I'd think it should be allowed, so long as you aren't reselling the service to your mate. Its a bit like giving someone a mailbox under your account.

Chris

nope im not doing this... the domane name is only £1 per month so i dont think im that hard up for 50p per month from him....lol....

anyway... i have tried the link that petervaughan put but it dont show me there.. so can any-1 else give ma some info on how this could be done...Huh many thanks...
N/A

Sub Domain's

You place a symlink from one point in your CGI space, to another point in his CGI space.

This will facilitate the link.

Again, you will need to check if this is allowed with PlusNet. Although in theory there should not be.
N/A

Sub Domain's

The easiest way is probably to create a redirecting frame page to his site by creating a folder in your cgi with your mates name or whatever you want the subdomain to be called, and you save the redirecting frame in this folder as index.htm or index.html

I have added the code needed to do this below just change the relevant details to your own needs. This is how I have redirected my domain name to a subdirectory of my cgi space.

<HTML><HEAD>
<META NAME="description" content="Bring & Buy website for new and used ham radio & test equipment.">
<META NAME="keywords" content="used ham radio equipment, second hand radio">
<TITLE>The Junksale Forums</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<FRAMESET ROWS="100%,*" BORDER="0" FRAMEBORDER="0">
<FRAME SRC="http://cgi.crichmond.plus.com/upload/" SCROLLING="AUTO" NAME="bannerframe" NORESIZE>
</FRAMESET>
<NOFRAMES>
The Junksale Forums - The best FREE bring & buy website in the UK
<P>
<DIV ALIGN="CENTER"><A HREF="http://cgi.crichmond.plus.com/upload/">http://junksale.co.uk/</A></DIV>
</NOFRAMES>
</HTML>