cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Steer clear of Acer.

N/A

Steer clear of Acer.

I've just about had it with Acer Uk...

My 1524 laptop has been back to Acer three times now... the last only one week after I received it back from its second stay at their repair centre. As it was so close to the earlier repair they agreed to treat it as priority - they've had the laptop now since the 1st.

Phoned on Friday to check progress... good news they knew what the fault was, they had the parts and was told phone back on Tuesday to check progress. Phoned today - still in the warehouse waiting an engineer so either what they told me on Friday was lies or it broke again. (The laptop is only 3 months old and so far has been in their care more than mine Sad ). I mentioned about the priority repair and the operator today said we don't do priority repairs unless it is brand new equipment... hi ho. In addition when I asked to be connected with a senior member of staff I got told oh no sir, you must write - me I don't have time I need that laptop - repeat loop until I gave up.

So keep clear of Acer...
30 REPLIES
holdtight
Grafter

Steer clear of Acer.

Given its age and the three times its been back surely your now entitled to a brand new one under the T&C`s

im surprised you had the patience to send it back a third time i wouldnt have

i know they will do anything they can to wriggle out of a new one but its not as described when sold or fit for use

or did the advert say this machine will need sometime to settle in before its completely yours Wink
craigbrass
Grafter

Steer clear of Acer.

I have had problems up on problems with laptops of mine and of friends. The laptop I got was a Fujitsu Siemens about 2 years ago in April of 2003. It was an Amilo D 7820. Basically, just under a year ago (June 2004) it started overheating and cutting out. They said when I phoned their support that I had a 1 year warrenty and this had now expired even though my documentation clearly states it is a 2 year warrenty. I even faxed it over to them but they said that their systems are right whatever. I asked how much to repair and it is £200 for looking at it (wish I could make that much for 10 mins of looking at somthing) and then repair costs which would be £200 for replacing the fan on it. So £400 and I said stuff it and put the phone down. I just got a cool pad for under it and it worked fine and didn't overheat with it. That was til a two months or so back when hard drive died inside it and it refused to boot up, all data I had backup of on my external HDD of cause. This aswell as the overheating without the cool pad as well as the dent in the screen aswell as the scratch on the top was just bugging me. Bugged me even more when I found out that my bro pulled it off the table as the power cable was loose. But, this gave the advantage it was accidental damage so we filed a claim with our insurance company. They collected the laptop from us last tuesday to inspect it and got word back from the company (externally contracted) who inspected it and they said yesterday it was beyond repair by them and not actually worth repairing by fujitsu siemens as they contacted them to see the price (£800) so they faxed a document over to our insurance company stating this and we are to phone up the insurance company thursday to get them to mail us a cheque for the amount so we can buy a new one. Am gonna go with Dell for the 510m + 3 Year Onsite Warrenty also covering Accidental Damage and Theft.
N/A

Steer clear of Acer.

holdtight - I've asked for a new one and got told to naff off (my words - their words where alot longer and bigger but amounted to the same thing).
craigbrass
Grafter

Steer clear of Acer.

If they continue being stupid with you, send a formal letter to their complaints department using a recorded method for proof they recieved it. This should get somthing done if you do it the right way. Use the advice "Accar" said in one of my other posts (http://portal.plus.net/central/forums/viewtopic.php?t=28201).
N/A

Steer clear of Acer.

I'm going to wait to see what happens tomorrow as agreed with them and will probably accept it back this time.

If it fails again after I've given them 3 chances to repair the laptop I'll get in touch with the supplier and reject the laptop under the sale of goods act as the product is not fit for purpose nor of a satisfactory quality etc...

(Only problem is the laptop is an insurance replacement for an older laptop which drowned when the mutt had my coffee table over... Sad )
craigbrass
Grafter

Steer clear of Acer.

That makes no differance. I know sombody who has claimed for 3 laptops (origional one which broke when he spilled a drink over it, then the one he got and pulled it off a table and then the one before the one he has now which just stopped working).
N/A

Steer clear of Acer.

Wink I'll give the laptop one more chance as with a 3.4GHz Athlon its a rather fast beasty- the graphics aren't bad either (GeForce 5700).
holdtight
Grafter

Steer clear of Acer.

How did it go solstans are you a happy man or a very very angry one ??

yeah good spec and i would want to keep it too but working of course Wink

i recently had to get a new one i was sitting on the sofa doing some work on my last one and forgetting it was plugged in i stood up with my foot on the mains lead instead of it popping out the back like a good little plug it stuck fast and as i stood up the machine didnt and ended up flying across the floor smashing the screen

to top it off its an obscure sharp model screen and i can only find a replacement in the far east at a cost of £300 and thats without shipping, i think not ! i remember being a very unhappy soldier that day

thought i might find one on ebay as i still have the laptop been looking for 3 months every other model number going apart from mine of course Cry

Hope youve had some good news today
N/A

Steer clear of Acer.

Hm, lets just say the missile silos are being opened up and aimed at a certain company Sad - They think it might be ready tomorrow (apprantly after repairing it they found they needed more parts to fix something else - and haven't told me what)
holdtight
Grafter

Steer clear of Acer.

That doesnt sound good for any future reliability of your machine does it ?

fix that then this breaks so we`ll fix that too but oh no now this doesnt work again never mind we`ll fix it, mmmmm not convinced are you ?

think you may have been right with your original title "steer clear of Acer"
N/A

Steer clear of Acer.

Think this one is on its third mainboard, second mini-pci wlan card, second hard drive, second lcd panel... so not much left to replace
holdtight
Grafter

Steer clear of Acer.

If it goes back another two times you will have that new system that their refusing to give you anyway

Not a good way for any company to keep customers is it when there are other companies out there that bend over backwards to help when you have a problem, ive had first hand experience with some big names that have just absolutely amazed me with the lengths they will go to to help so much so ive stuck with them which is the whole idea it makes good business sense

would you buy a new system from them after this experience ? doubtful.

ACER you have been named and shamed
N/A

Steer clear of Acer.

Bill, I wish I'd done some more research in to their CS before getting the system - looking at places like pc review its full of people complaining about the same things as me...
N/A

Steer clear of Acer.

i had(still have, only use it for net now though) and acer ferrari3000

within 6 months the hard drive died (3 weeks to repair), 1 month after that the system fan died....(THREE WEEKS TO REPLACE THAT!), 2 weeks after it came back from the fan repair, that same fan died again.......for obvious reasons i didnt sent it back, now i gotta run it with a cooler.

ps.

when the laptop was in for the fan repair i asked for it to be sent back unrepaired 6 times, and they did not do it.