Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Static IP Address query

rascom
Grafter

Static IP Address query

Anyone got any ideas on this one....

Our broadband is coming into a Netgear DG834 ADSL modem/router which serves DHCP to our internal LAN.
We have been approached by a client who wants us to host a data server for them that must be internet accessible so have discussed getting an additional IP address from PlusNet which they're fine with.

However.... if the broadband is coming into the Netgear getting it's own static IP address, we're not sure if we can have another server coming off with the other static IP address whilst still maintaining our existing LAN.

Hopefully this makes sense but if anyone's confused, reply and I'll try to clarify. Anyway, bottom line is... does anyone know if/how this could work?
7 REPLIES
N/A

Static IP Address query

why use DHCP in the first place.. it sucks, just set up ur intenal lan as Static ips and then use some simple nat to make the new external ip point at the lans interal static ip of the data server.. simple :p
Community Veteran

Static IP Address query

DHCP works perfectly well on my router and all the ones I have had in the past.
N/A

Static IP Address query

but if u want to host any kind of internal server it just sucks major donkey balls, just use static with NAT
rascom
Grafter

Static IP Address query

We're using DHCP so that if any of our remote employees come into this office (or any of our other locations), they can easily connect into the network without needing to reconfigure their network settings.
the_norris
Grafter

Static IP Address query

You could use DHCP to assign the same IP to the same computer. Done via checking the MAC address of the requesting computer.

I know the Solwise SAR110 can do this. Do this at home for my Windows Server.

Phil
Community Veteran

Static IP Address query

Easy really... just configure DHCP to have an upper limit of say .200 and assign/configure a static IP just to the server of say .201 and port forward any necessary connections to it. All the rest can use DHCP assigned IP addresses.
rascom
Grafter

Static IP Address query

Thanks Peter, Will give that a go.