Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Startup Problem

Del
Grafter

Startup Problem

Smiley Hi all,

I don't know if anyone can help me with this one but here goes.

Every now and then when starting my PC the thing bleeps and go's to a black setup screen with the following on it:

524288KB OK

F2: Setup F8: Boot Menu F12: Network Boot

Auto Detecting Pri Master.. IDE Hard Disk
Auto Detecting Pri Slave.. IDE Hard Disk
Auto Detecting Sec Master.. ATAPI CDROM
Auto Detecting Sec Slave.. ATAPI CDROM
Pri Master: A08 1500 Maxtor 4K040H2 Ultra Dma Mode-5, S.M.A.R.T. Capable But Disabled
Pri Slave: YAR41VWO Maxtor 6Y080L0 Ultra Dma Mode-5, Capable But Disabled
Sec Master: 1.03 Pioneer DVD-Rom DVD 117
Sec Slave: N3.8 R/RW 12X8X32

CMOS Settings Wrong

Press F2 to Run SETUP
Press F1 To Load Default Value and Continue
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When I press F1 to load default values, after startup my PC is set to the wrong time and date.

Any ideas how to fix this problem?

Thanks
5 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Startup Problem

Loading the default settings also sets the reat time clock back to it's default date & time which may be Jan 1 2000 or someting simular. Windows uses this clock to set the date and time hence your clock is wrong.

How old is the PC?

Maybe your cmos battery needs changing? When you switch off your PC a battery on the motherboard makes sure your BIOS?cmos settigs are remembered. Over time this batter will go flat and need changing.

Do you always shut your PC down properly or do you just switch it off?

What you can do is the following:

- After successfully starting up, reboot and enter the BIOS.
- Check and make sure all cmos/BIOS settings are correct including date & time.
- Make a note of all the settings for each BIOS screen on a piece of paper.

When the problem occurs again, press F2 and not F1 to enter the BIOS and check to see what BIOS setting is now different/wrong. Knowing what has changed will then give a clue to the possible cause. If you are not sure post what has changed and we can comment further.
Del
Grafter

Startup Problem

Smiley Thanks for your help Peter,

My PC was purchased just over 2 years ago from PCWorld so who knows how old it will be? could be it lay in the stockroom for ages before I bought it.

I'll do what you suggest and when the fault occurs again I'll note the settings and post the results here.

It may be sometime before I can post here as the fault can happen after 10 shutdowns or 20 or more and I always shut down properly.
N/A

Startup Problem

PC CMOS backup batteries are supposed to have a life expectancy fo 3 to 5 years (depends on quality - I have an old Unisys P133 that still has the original battery).
As the loss of settings is intermittant, it could point to a battery this is just about dead or the BIOS ROM has worked loose in its socket.
Del
Grafter

Startup Problem

Smiley Peter and cqg4uzg,

Just to let you know I changed the battery and so far there has been no more problems on startup, so hopefully things will be OK.

Thanks for your help, it's good to know if anyone has a PC problem that help is at hand.

Derek
N/A

Startup Problem

Glad it's fixed.