Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speakers on a new system

shermans
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Speakers on a new system

I have just bought a new HP pavillion a610.uk system with an "Integrated AC '97 sound solution", whatever that means - I assume it is the sound card. However, of course, there are no speakers.

I have two excellent 30 watt speakers from an old hi-fi unit which I would like to use on this system. I had expected to see two output sockets on the computer, one for each speaker and was surprised to find there is only one ! I have used the new system with earphones and all works fine, but I wondered how I connect the speakers. Do I just connect each of the two speaker wires in parallel to a suitable jack-plug and plug them in or is there more to it than that ? Hopefully, I do not need another box of tricks.

If anyone can offer advice, I would appreciate it as I don't like the headphones ! I do not use the computer for serious music listening, only for convenience, so I don't want to waste a lot of time and money on it. (My old lap-top had built-in speakers which were more than adequate for my purposes.)

Thanks to anyone who can advise.

Nick
8 REPLIES
N/A

Speakers on a new system

Hi, you need a 2x phono to PC stereo audio jack IN lead.

Or you could use a 2x Phono to 3.5mm Jack Adapter.

From somewhere like Maplin or you local hifi/computer shop; £2.99

Maplin link

AC97 is the type of chipset used for onboard sound on your motherboard. You don't have a soundcard as such Smiley As you only have 1 input, I guess yours is normal stereo sound only, and not 5.1 surround.

If you want more connectivity an options with your sound then you can buy a PCI soundcard which will do that for you. Soundblaster Audigy is a good one to go for.

[Moderator's note by Mark (pcsni): Shortened very long url as it was stretching the page badly.]
shermans
Rising Star

Speakers on a new system

Thanks. That's amswered it for me and I will get the necessary jack plug.
jabb0
Grafter

Speakers on a new system

Dude hold on,
im not 100% on this, but if they are speakers surely the need some kind of amp - does he not run the chance of blowing something up without an ampHuh

Myself, i have a normal jack plugged into the soundcard, which is 2 phonos at the other end which plug into my AUX port on my stereo, which works well.

1) I hope i am wrong
2) if im right i hope im not too late

hope this helps
N/A

Speakers on a new system

Yup! you are going to have problems trying to drive ordinary stereo speakers from an inbuilt sound card, as jabb0 says you need to connect to an amplifier to drive the speakers.

Its possible it could damage the soundcard if the impedence is way out of match, why do you think speakers that come with computers have their own power supply, its to power the small built in amp.
shermans
Rising Star

Speakers on a new system

Thanbks folks ! No it is not too late; and that is why I thought I better ask first. I am not good on electronics but I thought I heard years ago something about matching impedence to amplification. But as my laptop had in-built speakers, I naively thought the desktop would support speakers. That seems not to be the case.

The sound with earphones is great but no good for DVDs if two want to watch ! (Not done that yet, again only on my seven year old laptop).

So I guess I need to buy some speakers; better look on Ebay for something suitable / cheap. Can't use my stereo system because it is downstairs. But presumably even new bog standard speakers would not be too expensive ?Huh
jabb0
Grafter

Speakers on a new system

that impendance stuff is not critical, but it will affect sounds quality. Like if you managed to connect ur speakers to the kettle as long as they is gettin some kinda signal they will work.

no problemo, yeah u can pick speakers up for as chaep and cheerful as £10 - £15 squid, perhaps even less on ebay. i luv ebay.
N/A

Speakers on a new system

You can buy computer speaker systems anywhere, Comet, Curry's, PC World etc. look on their websites for an idea of prices
N/A

Speakers on a new system

Oh crap yeh I forgot about the power issue, sorry. I was thinking of my own setup which is indeed through the hifi's amp driving the hifi speakers. It wouldn't damage anything though. But yeh you would probably just get a very weak signal to those speakers producing crappy quality.