cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sound with a Webcam

metbury
Grafter

Sound with a Webcam

I have had sound advice on this forum before and am hoping that you can help me again please.

Yesterday I received a Webcam and a microphone as a present from my son and daughter in law so that I can see my two year old grandaughter regularly. I have set up the webcam and it is working so far, I can record vieos but the sound is not recorded or at least if it is it will not play back. I have also tested out the microphone using the sound recorder which comes with Windows XP and that works, however, the vidoe recorder which is also built in to XP will record the vision (rather a horrid one as it shows my wrinkles) but it does not record the sound.

I do not understand the various settings for sound on the computer and am rather afraid of messing anything up if I play about with them when I do not know what I am doing. Can you help me please?

TIA Eileen
8 REPLIES
N/A

Sound with a Webcam

What software are you using to record the video? Its probarly a setting in that.
metbury
Grafter

Sound with a Webcam

It is Creatives own Web Cam Centre but I also used the Windows Video software with the same result in each.
N/A

Sound with a Webcam

Odd, i use different software to record video so i donn't want to suggest too much, however the first thing to check is the audio controls, click on the speaker symbol in the control toolbar and goto options, properties, recording and check that the the box next to microphone is checked.
If there is no symbol in the control toolbar, goto the control panel, Sounds and Multimedia and enable it through that.
metbury
Grafter

Sound with a Webcam

Thanks for your reply. The only one which is not checked in that box is Aux/Phone, everything else has a tick beside it. Should that one be checked also?
Eileen
metbury
Grafter

Sound with a Webcam

Further to my reply.

I had not looked in the right box. in the first box I came to was set according to my first message. In "adjust volume control" Playback is checked recording is not. When I clicked on recording another box appeared and microphone was checked in that. Sorry for the confusion. Eileen
metbury
Grafter

Sound with a Webcam

More information:
Although I do not understand what I am reading I have found the following points which may be relevant:-

IRQ 18 C-Media AC97 Audio Device
also on IRQ18 Generic Soft K56 (which I am guessing is the modem.

Also the device manager shows a yellow mark against USB writer not installed.

Does the information help to solve my sound problem please?
Eileen
N/A

Sound with a Webcam

Sorry, for the delay, i was out with friends.
Shared IRQ's should not stop the mic from working.
If its ticked in the recording box you should be ok.
Sorry i cannot help more but i use different software to record vidoes and sound
N/A

Sound with a Webcam

Not only do you have to select the right input - Mic, line or aux, but the right device.
The webcam may have it's own microphone built in (some usb ones do). Therefore you will have to select that an not the default mic on the soundcard. This is selected from Multimedia controls in control panel.

The USB writer is something else and not related to the sound.