cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sound Problem

N/A

Sound Problem

I would be grateful if anyone can shed any light on this. On playback on some of my downloaded video files the sound has gone slightly weird. Let me try and describe the symptoms.

On playing back some videos the actual sound has gone very quiet and there is whistling sound over the top (sounds like budgies twittering away). These vids played ok a few days ago, on others the sound has become totally distorted. Note the visual side is fine just the sound is affected. All of these videos were fine up until a few days ago. The only thing I have downloaded is a patch from MS for Office XP. The volume of the speakers is set to max in control panel and to about 75% on the speakers themselves. The sound card I am using is an Avance AC'97 Audiofor VIA(R) audio controller.

The other thing is that when you try to adjust the system volume even at the highest volume you can only just here the beeping sound. When I log off the log off music is very loud, similarly the log on on music is very loud. If anyone has got any ideas I can try please let me know.

Best Wishes Chris
5 REPLIES
N/A

Sound Problem

Problems like this can arise if you have downloaded or installed a video/sound codec (decoding/encode algorithm) that is not compatible with the file you are trying to play. This is common with some of the codec packs that are supposed to install "every" codec you are likely to need. Unfortunately, they usiually install inferior versions.
Look at the audio codec in use while palying the file (properties) and then downlaod and install the latest codec for it.
N/A

Sound Problem

Hi cqg4uzg

Sorry to sound like a dunce but how can I be certain that the codec is uptodate and where can I get it. For instance I played one of my Vids on DivX which had a problem went to properties and it said that it was using Ligos Mpeg Audio Decoder. Did a search and could not find itHuh Any ideas?

regs Chris
N/A

Sound Problem

Some codecs come with software players (, Media Player, WinDVD etc) others come with Video editing software such as Ulead Video Studio.
Ligos codecs are distributed with Ulead software.
Codecs are a minefield and there are so many about. The later ones are DivX, Xvid, 3ivx, MP4 all different versions and updates.
You have to find the developers web sites to get the latest codecs.

I expect your problem is that the Ligos audio codec is being used instead of the standard mpg layer3 codec. You can disable this codec in device manager. Do not delete it just in case it is needed for another software player.
N/A

Sound Problem

Hi cqg4uzg

Did a system restoreand cured problem. I can only think that it was something that was downloaded in a MS patch unless of course it's yet another f*$king virus!!! Evil .

regs Chris
N/A

Sound Problem

Unlikely to be a virus to affect sound. It is most probably there is a change to the registry, in the update, that changes which audio codec is used for layer3.
It could and most probably will, happen again. I have the Ligos Audio codec disabled on my system.