cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Some sites wont load on Home Network?

N/A

Hi all,

I'm running 2 computers a long a home network (LAN) with 2 standard network cards, both systems using xp professional.

The main PC, HOST can load for example yahoo's chat at (http://uk.yahoo.com/r/hp/cm/ch) but the other PC can't.

Both are using IE 6 & all the browser settings are the same. There is no Firewall software installed, no firewall on the connection..

It's a strange propblem. All other sites load fine on both systems.

Any ideasHuh?

Daniel
9 REPLIES
N/A

Are you using a router, or Internet Connection Sharing from one of the computers to the other?
N/A

the adsl modem is connecte to my HOST via USB Port. And the 2 computers are connected via 2 PCI network cards with a x over cable.
Community Veteran

So you are using ICS.

Has this ever worked? or is it a problem that has occured today or recently?

Do you have the windows firewall enabled on either PC. If so, try disabling it.
N/A

Sorry, whats ICS?

Theres no firewall on either computer.

And i've only just setup the network yesterday, so its a new & first time problem
Community Veteran

ICS - internet connection sharing, which you need to allow your 2nd PC access to the ADSL modem on the host and thus the internet. Can the 2nd PC brows internet websites?

WinXP has an inbuilt firewall which is accessed via a tab when checking a network devices properties. This is sometimes enabled so you need to check if it is on on both systems and disable it.

What errors are you getting when the 2nd PC tries to access yahoo chat?

Also I would strongly suggest you get a software firewall fitted ASAP as it is very easy to get infected or your system compromised.
N/A

ICS - internet connection sharing, which you need to allow your 2nd PC access to the ADSL modem on the host and thus the internet. Can the 2nd PC brows internet websites?

Yep, the second computer displays 2 connections in network connections. LAN & the internet connection sharing connection.

WinXP has an inbuilt firewall which is accessed via a tab when checking a network devices properties. This is sometimes enabled so you need to check if it is on on both systems and disable it.

This is all turned off

What errors are you getting when the 2nd PC tries to access yahoo chat?

When I go to yahoo.co.uk & click on the CHAT link, the status bar indicator starts to move to like 4/5 bars then comes up with the page cannot be displayed.
Now it only happens on the network connected system. The HOST where the modem is connected directly into can access this page with no hassle. It actually loads within a second or two.

Also I would strongly suggest you get a software firewall fitted ASAP as it is very easy to get infected or your system compromised.

I was using a firewall, but removed it from the host system as I thought this could be causing it. But looks like it wasn't so once things are sorted, i'll put it back on
N/A

i am using ics sharing with my pc and laptop. Working fine at the moment. U have 2 install the network things on both pc via the windows cd. Other than that not sure whats going off
Community Veteran

Yep, the second computer displays 2 connections in network connections. LAN & the internet connection sharing connection.

Did you really mean the 2nd PC is running ICS or did you mean the host.

Only the host (the one with the modem connected) should be running ICS which is used to link the local network with the ADSL modem, the 2nd PC should just have a network card (LAN) and TCP/IP services associated with it.
N/A

A couple of things spring to mind. First if you are sharing a modem then if you get as far as the chat room it may not be able to connect the second pc as it will see all the traffic as coming from one pc's ip. With a router you can port forward but not with a modem.

The other thing is it uses cookies to track you and again may have dificulty in finding them and are you trying to logon with the same username on both pc?